There are newer employer reviews for PR Newswire

Opportunity Lurks at PRN, for Those Willing to Avail Themselves

Current Employee - IT Technologist  in  Jersey City, NJ
Current Employee - IT Technologist in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at PR Newswire

Pros

Smaller shop than some (though certainly not tiny) means more opportunity for a range of responsibilities, with commensurate breadth of experience acquireable in connection with them. Chance to look good in a crisis, or as a real contributor when you just provide what they always should have had anyway. PRN pays better than average, and provides good benefits too. Recently acquired a new CEO, who at this point appears to be have excellent insight and vision for the company's direction. I have received much positive feedback about my own contributions, through a formal recognition program that includes modest cash gifts and public (peer) acknowledgment.

Cons

This year, because of the economic downturn, they discontinued paying for seminars/coursework/higher education, etc. They also have discontinued a good training program for new hires, so you're on your own about coming up to speed on their products (and in IT, there's little to describe how it all works). Recent changes in this area of the company have made it somewhat unstable, but I have hope that that will improve, now that the major earthquake is past. The reality is that the reason there's *opportunity* here is that there's *need* for improvement. The existing IT architectures need updating, but management knows it, and is working to improve the environment, to stabilize it.

Give us a real vision, with *detailed* plans how we'll get there. You may have such a vision in your mind, but you need to make it more clear to us, so that we can execute on it effectively, and get ourselves and the company into a better competitive position.

83 Other Employee Reviews for PR Newswire (View Most Recent)

Great company

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at PR Newswire

Pros

When I got the job, I really felt that I won something. PR Newswire is a true lader in the field- good compensation, well respected company. And just great products.

Cons

Lay offs left them w/bad morale. Also, there wasn't much of a distinction between us and the competition after a while.

Do a better job with Change Management when there is a change that affects the employees of the entire organization.

Good job but very stressful.

Current Employee - Assistant Editor  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at PR Newswire

Pros

It is a good entry-level job for those who are just out of college who really have no idea what they're going to do, especially those who have graduated with "soft" degrees in subjects like art or English. Many times there are interesting learning opportunities to learn about corporate America. As it is a globally recognized company, experience with PR Newswire looks very good on future resumes.

Cons

The wire and press releases are dying out very quickly in the Internet age -- thus PR Newswire is quickly becoming an obsolete service and long-term job security is very low. The job is very stressful and a lot is expected of employees, things have to be done very quickly and accurately and if anything goes even slightly wrong it is counted as an "error" which goes into your record. There is a huge emphasis on error rates and there is no room for mistakes.

Better internal communication.

There are newer employer reviews for PR Newswire

Worked for PR Newswire? Contribute to the Community!