PSAV

There are newer employer reviews for PSAV

Proceed With Caution. Your Location and Your Director are Everything

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Bonita Springs, FL
Former Employee - Assistant Director in Bonita Springs, FL

I worked at PSAV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mostly top line technology, plenty of hands-on experience, plenty of freedom of movement in a big property. Schedule flexibility when your Director allows. You have the ability to impress outside clients and hotel staff and network on the job if you need an escape hatch.

It all depends on where you are assigned and who your director is. This can be the best job you've ever had or the worst. I experienced both. There's plenty of room for training and growth, but go to a major market that has a PSAV Branch Office and a big labor pool.

Cons

You are on your own as a location if you are not located in or near a major hotel market, or a geographic region which is not closely supported by a big PSAV labor pool and Branch Warehouse.

We were never adequately or fully staffed, even at a base level. This resulted in a 40 hour per week salary that never matched the hours I worked. We were asked to open a location in the middle of tourist and convention season and not lose money. We had terrible staffing choices by upper management. Constant turnover of our Technicians.

My boss worked 31 hours straight without sleep at one stretch. He expected the same of me. I tried to inform upper management of our problems and they were never addresssed.

My average day was 10 hours. A tough day would be 11-12, a brutal day (and there were quite a few) could go as long as 16 hours. I was only given two days off per week after providing a doctor's note that I was under too much stress and needed anti-anxiety medication to cope.

My Director responded by starting documentation to have me fired. I was cited for ordering a paper shredder, printing too much and using too much toner, and entering the wrong way into the underground parking garage, which has no access control like security gates. I tried to work things out, and I finally asked for a transfer out of the location I was assigned to. My Director and HR separated me (with unemployment eligibility) out of "concerns for my health and welfare."

You have a responsibility to listen to Human Resources when an employee who wishes after all of this that I was still with the company, just at a different location. Sometimes transferring an employee is far better than separating with them. You can't use the example of Directors who have no life other than their work to be the baseline for employees who want and need a life outside of work in order to maintain their relationships, connections and sanity. The P and L is not the only thing that matters. Investigate things personally and thoroughly.

291 Other Employee Reviews for PSAV (View Most Recent)

Review

I worked at PSAV

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great career experience, growth potential

Cons

work/life in-balance, long hours, no flexibility

TOO BIG TO FAIL

Current Employee - Lead Tech in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Tech in Orlando, FL

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Management opportunities abound, This company is gobbling up competitors left and right. Also, this company is amazing to work with if you are a freelancer, vendor or partner in many ways they can make you rich.

Cons

As an employee, they will promise you the sun and the moon. Delivery of raises and advancement is extremely slow even for talented technicians and sales trainees. In Florida, they work people to a pulp, mess up your day with split shifts and on-call requirements. Working 18+ Hour shifts back to back is not uncommon during busy season. During slow season, you basically starve and become furloughed without pay.

Some of this is justified as part of the industry norm, but PSAV justifies the employee conditions with phrases such as "well save your vacation and sick time for the slow season because your yearly average will be 32-40 hours a week" So basically plan your life around work.

As for technical scheduling, its from Saturday - Friday. Depending on your superior, you may receive your schedule for the following week on a thursday, sometimes as late as friday evening. You can't plan for your weekend because, you may be working and have not been told yet :{

As a technician in a busy market, expect to work 50-100 hours a week during January - June. Then, from July - September expect to work 0 - 32 Hours and the rest of the year somewhere in between those 2 ranges.

Deliver what you promise, Don't grow at the expense of your employees long term health. If you find that there aren't enough high level, skilled positions in the company....Stop recruiting and promising dreams of fortunes and travel.

Various multimedia universities in the area provide endless fodder (stagehands and twinkled eyed youngsters) to replace the aging school of hard knock roadies and AV techs.

There are newer employer reviews for PSAV