There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

PG&E Review

Current Employee - Worker  in  Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Worker in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Very good health benefits overall, and many really talented and good people work there, but there are too many bad apples in middle management.

Cons

Upper management retribution, pay lower than average, bonus system that is totally flawed and geared towards favoritism and not productivity or talent.

Too much emphasis is given to how we "look" and not how people actually perform their jobs or the other good qualities that exist in the company. Too much time and talent is wasted on and power given to a middle managment with personal agendas which do not reflect PG&E's spoken and printed values. In short, they don't "walk the walk" they just "talk the talk". To their credit, many in upper management are good people and I think really try to live up to the spoken values of the company, but they are easily led astray by a few bad apples who are just playing games and trying to manipulate the company to their own benefit. PG&E preaches open and honest communication to management, but you'll be black listed if you believe it. Middle management isn't interested in talent or what you can produce, only in your agreement with them and their rewards and acknowledgement reflect that.

403 Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric (View Most Recent)

Great place to work if you are looking for work/life balance

Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

PG&E is a great place to work because the management is very supportive and people are generally very nice and willing to teach you. Also, some of the groups really value work and life balance.

Cons

The downside is probably the upward mobility. There are fewer spots to fill just like any other big corporations. I think it is harder to get promotions unless you know the right people in the right places

To be clear on what the company's focus is. The values seems to be different than what the message is coming across as.

Still a long way from meeting their vision: "To be the leading utility company in the U.S."

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Overall, the best reasons to work at PG&E are the following (in no particular order): 1) Supportive Work/Life Balance culture; 2) Overall benefits package is really great!; 3) Sufficient opportunities to move laterally.

1. Supportive work/life balance -- although it's not in any official company documents, employees can arrange some sort of telecommuting options with their direct manager, and subjected to their approval, of course. Many employees are able to work at least 1 day from home (usually Fridays). The hours are usually reasonable. Most people head out around 5pm-ish to catch BART or CalTrain, and they come in around 8AM-9AM. Since the company has many offices in N. Cal, some folks are able to work locally in offices closer to their homes from time to time eventhough their department may be further away, for example, at the headquarter in SF. Overall, I was there for over 4 years and found that the the work/life balance is supported by management there as well as entrenched in their culture.

2. Overall benefits package is really great! -- This is the reason I chose to work there in the first place and the reason I still missed working there. My spouse works at a really great company too, but their benefits paled compared to PG&E. I enrolled in the best, most flexible package (not HMO) and still pay dollars out of pocket each year. I had surgery done some time ago that was probably in the many thousands of dollars which I paid only hundreds out of pocket. It is still one of those rare gems among corporations these days to offer such comprehensive benefits to their employees. Oh, this also includes dental! The dental package is the best I've seen. Most dental plans cover about 50% of crown work, for example, where as here, they cover up to 80% if you enroll in their better dental plan and the premiums are very reasonable.

3. The companies has internal postings each day and goes out to the employees first before it hits the public job boards, usually. I know of so many colleagues their who have a long career at the company but held at least 3-4 different jobs. That is largely due to the opportunities that they can move around to different organizations, sometimes laterally, sometimes both promotions and laterally.

Of course, these are all based on my own perspectives and experiences. Others may have different opinions here. :)

Cons

PG&E remains to be hierarchical, organizational-wise, and thus, a lot of the decisions made in upper management are made in a vacuum without a lot of input from employees who are involved in the work. Communication is usually top-down, in the form of changes to be implemented. There's not a lot of solicitation for ideas, and if there are, it's usually a formality. Real-inputs usually don't make it up top.

Another area of downside is that since their benefits is great, the salary itself tends to be on the lower-end as compare to other companies in the hi-tech sector. They have payscales which they justify for not giving anyone higher than what the scale ranges are, despite your experience or accomplishments.

Overall, the people are nice and friendly, but it seems that management/leadership doesn't respect their employees much. This can be evident in the way they make their decisions without a lot of input from their employees, rather they tend to go with major consulting houses to get ideas. Unfortunately, some of those ideas have cost them $$$$ in recent years and failed terribly.

I would advise them to hire the best and brightest in the first place. Then give those people a say in how things are done, day-to-day. Listen to them and implement great ideas rather than usually running towards the consulting firms to get those ideas who doesn't really know the business. Promote from within is another suggestion.

There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!