Pacific Gas and Electric
www.pge.com San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

No one accountable for very rough start.

Human Resources (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Company is a good starting place for very young and inexperienced people who do not know a better environment. It offers a lot of benefits, including a large tuition education reimbursement plan. This is probably a very different experience for the employees in construction and apprentice programs, compared to support positions, IT, H/R and lower "management" jobs.

ConsNot great for experienced people - I came with a higher education and a lot of experience....
They are not open to new ideas and change brought in from experienced people - even if they tell you so in the interviews. My experience was that I was very happy to get the job... the managers switched jobs and no one was in charge for months. I was left to fend for myself for the better part of the first year - trying to learn processes and get things set up - then held accountable for a mid-year review process that I knew nothing about. The evaluations are based on two areas - work production and Company values. The values of safety and inclusion and diversity are great on paper, but don't translate into things you can record on a daily basis. When it is hard for everyone to write a self-evaluation, then the process is broken. This should be a simple task. The groups are graded on a curve and the Managers participate in "calibrations" to rank employees. If you have a highly performing group, this is a morale buster. The disfunction is hard to support. There is a lot of mide-level turn over and bias against "outsiders." I see the long-term employees staying for the pension and the lateral employees are looking elsewhere. Once the market picks up, there will be a lot of higher-level moves out of the best people.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at your mid-level managers - that is the area that affects the most working people. If you have a poor selection in one of these positions - take action - fix it. Remove the person. It is hard to recover from the damage of a poor manager. Many individual contributors are never meant to manage people. There is no 360* review process, so employees start looking elsewhere and underperforming. Employees with 20+ years have been conditioned to keep quiet.

There are newer reviews on Pacific Gas and Electric.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pacific Gas and Electric reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pacific Gas and Electric CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr. All reviews posted anonymously by Pacific Gas and Electric employees.