Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com
  www.pge.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

No one accountable for very rough start.

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Company is a good starting place for very young and inexperienced people who do not know a better environment. It offers a lot of benefits, including a large tuition education reimbursement plan. This is probably a very different experience for the employees in construction and apprentice programs, compared to support positions, IT, H/R and lower "management" jobs.

Cons

Not great for experienced people - I came with a higher education and a lot of experience....
They are not open to new ideas and change brought in from experienced people - even if they tell you so in the interviews. My experience was that I was very happy to get the job... the managers switched jobs and no one was in charge for months. I was left to fend for myself for the better part of the first year - trying to learn processes and get things set up - then held accountable for a mid-year review process that I knew nothing about. The evaluations are based on two areas - work production and Company values. The values of safety and inclusion and diversity are great on paper, but don't translate into things you can record on a daily basis. When it is hard for everyone to write a self-evaluation, then the process is broken. This should be a simple task. The groups are graded on a curve and the Managers participate in "calibrations" to rank employees. If you have a highly performing group, this is a morale buster. The disfunction is hard to support. There is a lot of mide-level turn over and bias against "outsiders." I see the long-term employees staying for the pension and the lateral employees are looking elsewhere. Once the market picks up, there will be a lot of higher-level moves out of the best people.

Look closely at your mid-level managers - that is the area that affects the most working people. If you have a poor selection in one of these positions - take action - fix it. Remove the person. It is hard to recover from the damage of a poor manager. Many individual contributors are never meant to manage people. There is no 360* review process, so employees start looking elsewhere and underperforming. Employees with 20+ years have been conditioned to keep quiet.

443 Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric (View Most Recent)

There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric