Lots of people, hard to get through all the red tape to accomplish things

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Great benefits, good retirement and they care about employees

Cons

Still feels like they are stuck in the 1990s

Other Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

Good people working hard

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The line and gas workers as well as the other folks (engineers, environmental scientists) I meet try hard to give good customer service and to do their best job on a daily basis.

Cons

I have met some unscrupulous managers - but I have met some awesome conscientious managers as well.

Take some risks for your customers. The State of California should be opposed sometimes, because they don't have your customers best interests at heart. I give to you the example of energy alerts, where they tell the customers to cut their power use. So people have to "suffer" because you can't tell the CPUC that you need more base load (NG power plants)? There shouldn't be blackouts because there isn't enough energy, and the customers shouldn't be paying $0.31 per kWh - the highest in the nation so that the politicians can make their green constituents feel good about themselves.

Very political, not so rewarding career

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to know how to play politics! Few positives otherwise.

Cons

Politics and seniority are everything. Your career will be dead in 3 years. No new technology tried out. Still working with Windows 7. And the pay is very average.

Not sure where to start. Top talent will never look at PGE unless there are dramatic changes. Outsourcing is the right way to go for now.

There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!