There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

Great place to work for those seeking slower professional pace and stagnant work environment.

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT work life balance, competitive salary for the responsibilities and expectations. People are generally nice and non-competitive. Lots of room for internal mobility if a role doesn't work out or if you just are not competent for a job, there's another one around the corner. The company gets a lot of bad wrap in the media and from a lot of San Franciscans due to the socialist views of many SF residents and from the San Bruno explosion, but from the inside, I think management and the folks who make up the work force are not evil or intentionally mismanaging. There is a lot of care from the workforce.

Cons

The culture is SLOW and little visible ACTION takes place. It is a very meeting driven, consensus oriented culture, which is great, but lack of initiative and decision making by those who have Manager/Director titles leads to INACTION and just a lot of wasted time in meetings. Being in management = making decision and taking accountability. Though internal mobility is great for growth, too many employees move around due to limited growth w/in their current dept or because the job isn't working out. Thus, high rates in job transfers leads to tasks being left undone and/or employee incompetency due to inadequate knowledge to perform. The greater concern is that the true root of the high mobility rate is never realized due to people moving to get an easy promotion or because they suck at their job; sometimes it's more effective to terminate someone due to poor performance rather than make it someone else's problem.

Advice to Management

Hold everyone accountable, management and non-management employees. If employees are held more accountable, then the business results will help with renewing a positive image for the company when incompetency declines.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Disposable contractors

Former Contractor - IT Project Manager SCADA Lifecycle
    Former Contractor - IT Project Manager SCADA Lifecycle

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a wide variety of contract types available.

Cons

A contractor can expect no consideration to be given to the continuance of their livelihood. Decisions in complete discord with any promises made during the hiring procesd can be expected. The initially stated contract length means nothing and you can expect no warning if the contract will be cut short. Even if you were let's say, in the middle of a home loan modification and loss of income would cost you your home. That would be something of no concern here despite all the early assurances during the hiring process that the contract would continue in excess of the stated length in the job req. it's truly reprehensible, the degree to which the value of a contracted worker has become here.

Advice to Management

Adopt polices where you actually have some concern for the well being of people coming to work there, even if they are contractors. We're people with lives as well as your FTEs.

Exciting work if you can stomach continual reorganizations

Former Contractor - Customer Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Customer Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance (literally 9 to 5) for good pay It's a great career-builder to work here if you're interested in energy / cleantech / climate Everyone is super, super nice and acts like family Lots of opportunity to learn, move around, and advance your career PG&E is one of the most progressive IOUs with lots of really exciting projects in renewables, storage, demand response, EVs, etc. etc.

Cons

Frequent reorganizations. I found the constant anxiety that you could be laid off / lose your job to be very wearing. It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management. It also felt like there were a lot of disconnects between upper management and folks in the field. I struggled a lot to find a different position within the company. My perception (which may or may not be reality) is that jobs are often opened with a specific candidate already in mind. It's more like working for a government agency than not. I also didn't love the culture (it felt very fear-based to me) but have friends who really thrive in it. It probably just wasn't a good fit for me. On a different note, PG&E is not terribly beloved in the Bay Area. I found it tricky to read negative articles about my company every week in the Chronicle.