There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

Up & Down ... too much negativity and unstability

Current Employee - Human Resources Business  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Human Resources Business in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The H/R people are pretty efficient and things are done on time in that group. It helps with the transition of things.

Cons

I find that the people who are happy in their jobs are working in GO and in the IT jobs, or people who are recent hires. Those are also the people who write these reviews - not your guys out doing the physical labor in the fields - I don't think I have even seen a review written about the Electric Operations line of work, Gas construction or their support groups.

The folks in the electrical business are not so happy. The supervisors are under lot of pressure to make cuts and large sweeping changes. The management team in Electric Ops is the group I worked most closely with. They were very stressed and had a lot of unreasonable demands placed upon them. They are also measured by a set of metrics didn't really relate to things they could control. If you were going into this field, I really could not recommend it. If you are coming in as a manager or supervisor - try to fully vet the position with someone you trust. You should accept that you may be laid off due to another reorganization - usually not intended just to save money, but to move people out. Also - just because they may have paid you a signing bonus or relocation funds does not mean you are safe. They have gotten rid of these people too. So, if you are moving to take this job, dont' buy, rent until you are sure you are not going to be reorganized out.

The IBEW Union representatives are thugs and truly the ones running the company. I have never seen anything like this.

There is a lot of fear about people losing their jobs and so the evaluations have taken on a greater meaning than ever before. The groups are rated on a curve, so someone always has to be at the bottiom and it would take a strong manager to stand up to the pressure to not rate someone low. The managers are also working in a fear-based environment, so this is unlikely. The people that I see staying at this company are married to the old retirement plan and they spread their negativity, and they are not going to leave anytime soon.

If you take a job here, take it with open eyes and do not expect too much. It is not a happy, energizing place.

See above.

407 Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric (View Most Recent)

There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!