Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

A lot of bureaucracy, but otherwise an OK place to work

Former Employee - Biologist in San Ramon, CA
Former Employee - Biologist in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had a good boss and co-workers were reasonable. Workload was heavy but interesting and manageable

Cons

They aren't organized well, and they tend to fire long-term employees

Give your employees something to look forward to long-term.

464 Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric (View Most Recent)

Exciting work if you can stomach continual reorganizations

Former Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance (literally 9 to 5) for good pay
    It's a great career-builder to work here if you're interested in energy / cleantech / climate
    Everyone is super, super nice and acts like family
    Lots of opportunity to learn, move around, and advance your career
    PG&E is one of the most progressive IOUs with lots of really exciting projects in renewables, storage, demand response, EVs, etc. etc.

Cons

Frequent reorganizations. I found the constant anxiety that you could be laid off / lose your job to be very wearing. It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management. It also felt like there were a lot of disconnects between upper management and folks in the field.
    I struggled a lot to find a different position within the company. My perception (which may or may not be reality) is that jobs are often opened with a specific candidate already in mind. It's more like working for a government agency than not.
    I also didn't love the culture (it felt very fear-based to me) but have friends who really thrive in it. It probably just wasn't a good fit for me.
    On a different note, PG&E is not terribly beloved in the Bay Area. I found it tricky to read negative articles about my company every week in the Chronicle.

Disposable contractors

Former Employee - IT Project Manager SCADA Lifecycle
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager SCADA Lifecycle

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

There are a wide variety of contract types available.

Cons

A contractor can expect no consideration to be given to the continuance of their livelihood. Decisions in complete discord with any promises made during the hiring procesd can be expected. The initially stated contract length means nothing and you can expect no warning if the contract will be cut short. Even if you were let's say, in the middle of a home loan modification and loss of income would cost you your home. That would be something of no concern here despite all the early assurances during the hiring process that the contract would continue in excess of the stated length in the job req.
    it's truly reprehensible, the degree to which the value of a contracted worker has become here.

Adopt polices where you actually have some concern for the well being of people coming to work there, even if they are contractors. We're people with lives as well as your FTEs.

There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric