There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

I was an instructor for AutoCAD and worked support through Web seminars

Former Employee - Lead Instructor for ACAD2012 in San Ramon, CA
Former Employee - Lead Instructor for ACAD2012 in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment and reasonable compensation.

Cons

Budget shortfalls led to dismissal

I always felt good about the support I got from my superiors

420 Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric (View Most Recent)

best career and learning experience

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

customers are no.1 priority and safety of the crew

Cons

political infighting, in the management team

listen to your crew cause they are the one's who will make it happen for you, a happy crew means more prosperity and customer's satisfaction will be recognized

Lots of Hype, Little Substance

Current Employee - Ccsa in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Ccsa in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty good benefits and decent pay. Although their hiring contractors in at what I'm making after 7 years with company. Lots of pep talks, staff meetings and online propaganda to "inform" us about what's going on in the company. PG&E is great at community outreach and volunteer efforts. They do invest a great deal of money and time on the PG&E image. We do so want our customers to like us.

Cons

The nepotism and favoritism are rampant at this company. Especially at the locations that are far enough away from Corporate headquarters that they are not managed or monitored on a regular basis (example: Technology Service Center in Sacramento). You will never get ahead unless your related to someone with clout who will plead your case, or if you are very good at being a suck-up. Hard work really doesn't matter much. It's all about being a Peacock. He who has the brightest feathers and squawks the loudest gets the recognition.

Upward mobility for phone analysts is much more difficult in these "rural" areas, especially in the call centers since there is no where to go. All the management spots are already filled with the directors buddies, so your only option is "Team Lead" (which is already filled with the supervisors "yes" boys). So, you're pretty much stuck in a "go nowhere" position until someone quits, gets fired or dies..

I feel sorry for the women in my department. Out of about 90 employees, only about 8 of them are female (including our admin). They seem to do most of their hiring right out of the IT Community colleges and most look like me (young, white and male). If you're older, female or handicapped, your chances of getting hired for an Information Technology position in the Sacramento area are pretty slim. PG&E likes to tout "Diversity this, and Inclusion that" but in all my years here I have never once seen a person with a physical or mental handicap get hired by this company. Women are seldom selected to go out on rotational jobs, nor are they promoted or supported by management in this particular location.

If I could spend more time doing my job, and less time jumping through hoops, attending useless trainings, preparing for, editing, planning and discussing my performance appraisals, the job would be a lot less stressful. I spend the majority of my time convincing management that I'm worthy of employment. If they weren't so busy doing the same thing, they would probably be well aware of what i do on a daily basis and time spent on these constant evaluations would not be necessary. Evaluations once a year should be sufficient.

Rate employees on their job performance and not how you "feel" about them. Stop perpetuating the "Ol' Boys" network and let some fresh blood in positions of authority (especially in IT).

There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric