Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com

Right of Way Consultant

Former Employee - R/W Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - R/W Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The money is reasonably good. Working envireonment is tolerable to fair.

Cons

Management is demanding and many times chaotic.

Need better trained management with personalities and willing to communicate. Show by example.

Other reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

Traditional, well paying, level conscious environment. Good long term choice for stability

Pros

Good pay, stable work environment

Cons

Overly reliant on relationship and politics

Figure out a way to foster innovation without negative repercussions

Lots of Hype, Little Substance

Current Employee - Ccsa  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Ccsa in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Pretty good benefits and decent pay. Although their hiring contractors in at what I'm making after 7 years with company. Lots of pep talks, staff meetings and online propaganda to "inform" us about what's going on in the company. PG&E is great at community outreach and volunteer efforts. They do invest a great deal of money and time on the PG&E image. We do so want our customers to like us.

Cons

The nepotism and favoritism are rampant at this company. Especially at the locations that are far enough away from Corporate headquarters that they are not managed or monitored on a regular basis (example: Technology Service Center in Sacramento). You will never get ahead unless your related to someone with clout who will plead your case, or if you are very good at being a suck-up. Hard work really doesn't matter much. It's all about being a Peacock. He who has the brightest feathers and squawks the loudest gets the recognition.

Upward mobility for phone analysts is much more difficult in these "rural" areas, especially in the call centers since there is no where to go. All the management spots are already filled with the directors buddies, so your only option is "Team Lead" (which is already filled with the supervisors "yes" boys). So, you're pretty much stuck in a "go nowhere" position until someone quits, gets fired or dies..

I feel sorry for the women in my department. Out of about 90 employees, only about 8 of them are female (including our admin). They seem to do most of their hiring right out of the IT Community colleges and most look like me (young, white and male). If you're older, female or handicapped, your chances of getting hired for an Information Technology position in the Sacramento area are pretty slim. PG&E likes to tout "Diversity this, and Inclusion that" but in all my years here I have never once seen a person with a physical or mental handicap get hired by this company. Women are seldom selected to go out on rotational jobs, nor are they promoted or supported by management in this particular location.

If I could spend more time doing my job, and less time jumping through hoops, attending useless trainings, preparing for, editing, planning and discussing my performance appraisals, the job would be a lot less stressful. I spend the majority of my time convincing management that I'm worthy of employment. If they weren't so busy doing the same thing, they would probably be well aware of what i do on a daily basis and time spent on these constant evaluations would not be necessary. Evaluations once a year should be sufficient.

Rate employees on their job performance and not how you "feel" about them. Stop perpetuating the "Ol' Boys" network and let some fresh blood in positions of authority (especially in IT).

There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!