There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

Good work & great people, but highly political organization

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and challenges to tackle are tremendous. You get to work at a scale that's hard to match. There are great groups and organizations. Training, pay and work-life balance are hard to beat.

Cons

There's just a tremendous amount of bureaucracy to make things happen. The organization excels at getting in its own way with continual reorgs and shifting priorities coming down from middle management.

Advice to Management

If you really want to deliver a great customer experience, invest in our systems and put the right resources in place to deliver exceptional products and services.

reviews filtered by

Solutions Marketing Department

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Great colleagues, awesome team to work with daily - including internal clients and external agencies. I was a part of the team when the department was young and growing and it was exciting to be a part of that effort for several years. Have made a lot of lifelong friends and connections. PG&E is also really willing to invest in your professional growth/development with classes/seminars.

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth - already top heavy in the management arena for the marketing department specifically
    New management came on board in late 2012 and the atmosphere/culture became a lot less enjoyable
    Too many politics - both internally and with the regulatory entities - it prevents work from getting done and progress from being made

Advice to Management

Try to do better at listening to your employees and ACT upon what they are telling you in how things can be improved. There is a lot of 'acknowledgement' of the problems but no action to truly fix it. Lots of great talent has been lost and without implementing some changes, more will likely go too.

Depends on your manager as to how good your experience can be

Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Last year I loved working for an intelligent engaged manager. I was re-orged into a group that has the worst manger I have ever worked for in my 30 years of employment.

Cons

Continuing on with this horrible year, my current manager does not know what he is doing. He will give me an assignment and then change it in the next few days. He is ineffective, could care less about his employees and has not sense of what his group is about. The employees are very overworked and HR knows about the lack of sufficient resources for projects.

Advice to Management

My group includes highly educated individuals. Senior management should listen to the employees and give them credit for exposing a manager that is one of the worst I have encountered. Ensure there are sufficient resources for projects.