There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

Depends on your manager as to how good your experience can be

Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor in San Ramon, CA
Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Last year I loved working for an intelligent engaged manager. I was re-orged into a group that has the worst manger I have ever worked for in my 30 years of employment.

Cons

Continuing on with this horrible year, my current manager does not know what he is doing. He will give me an assignment and then change it in the next few days. He is ineffective, could care less about his employees and has not sense of what his group is about. The employees are very overworked and HR knows about the lack of sufficient resources for projects.

My group includes highly educated individuals. Senior management should listen to the employees and give them credit for exposing a manager that is one of the worst I have encountered. Ensure there are sufficient resources for projects.

421 Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric (View Most Recent)

Not bad, but the cons are frustrating

Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits for retirement, medical is pretty good too.

Cons

Work-Life balance although not pushed, is hard to control. In some departments in IS it is hard to excel in your career as you are asked constantly to write out and prove your worth for those advancements. This makes management very inpersonal, and as in other reviews, there are too many layers to management.

Reactive, political org with too many chiefs and too few indians

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people

Cons

decisions come slowly. they don't know what to do with the talent they hire, internally focused mostly on themselves with supervisors and managers fighting to move one step up, a lonely environment to work in as there is really no reason for teams other than to have people under supervisors, you will walk away having learned little while watching your skills degrade, lack of tools and processes to do your job so it takes a long time to get easy things done, spreadsheet and numbers focused as if customers and employees are an afterthought, you will get blamed for any error even if you found something systemic and are trying to fix the issue, silo mentality, reliant on too many contractors who are treated as second class citizens

listen and support your people, get out of your offices, and talk informally to those doing the work to learn what is going on in the organization, enable your talent, find the funding for better tools, stop the blame game

There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric