There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Life

Good company in hard times

Former Employee - Technology Manager in Newport Beach, CA
Former Employee - Technology Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company tries to do whats best for the long term success of the company and employees. It may not be the company to hit a lot of home runs but it will be around for the long term game.

Cons

Because of it long history, it is sometimes difficult to promote change in a culture that may seem very rigid. This may be changing and the old guard goes out and new blood comes in.

Advice to Management

Employee happiness and satisfaction does ultimately contribute to the success of the company but don't be afraid to call out poor performing employees. They need to hear appropriate negative feedback so they can improve instead of meaningless trivial positive feedback only.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work life balance - Friendly work staff and management

Cons

- limited growth and slow pace

If you can lie, you can me in management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits Package and location of the Home Office. If you land in the right area of the company, you could really like it there. The on-site cafeteria is great and so convenient if you're one that likes to stay in the building for breakfast/lunch, or grab a quick meal and eat at your desk to work through lunch.

Cons

I cannot say that the following is true for the entire company, however, there is one area of the company, based on my experience, that this this is exactly how it is. I was with this company for many years and watched it go from a fantastic place to work, to a nightmare. As one reviewer has stated, it has turned into a widget counting organization. The management team does not merely bend the truth about production but completely lies about it. It doesn't matter what the truth is, only the "perception" of the truth. I would sit with my jaw dropped open at some of the claims they would make that were so untrue. They are really heavy in middle management, although, I guess they'd have to be, based on the number of these individuals that walk around doing nothing more than spying on the employees there. Yes, spying. One VP bragged about having "moles" on the floor that report back to her on every little thing that goes on. You are watched on a continual basis and questioned on every move you make. Every move. It's true that if you are an individual that questions anything, you will end up with a target on your back! HR is not interested in anything that is going on in the company, after all, their job is to protect the company, not the employees. They claim to want to know what's going on, but after you meet with them, you will be treated as a "problem" and your life will become even more of a living hell there...even though you're the one being mistreated! I've known people that have gone through this and ended up calling in an attorney to accompany them to their next HR meeting, sad that this is even necessary. The common goal should be to work in a fairly harmonious environment. This is a company that is doing extremely well, but continues to layoff people for no other reason than corporate greed. It would be understandable if the layoffs were to stave off monetary issues or the fear thereof. However, that is not the case. Do the research, you'll see how well they do, year after year.

Advice to Management

Promote people based on their skills and expertise, not their ability to say what you want to hear. If you got rid of the dead weight of heavy middle management, you could actually keep the "worker bees" working, instead of driving them to the ground with an extremely demanding workload.