There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Life

You take the good and take the bad you take them both and there you have Pacific Life

Current Employee - Manager in Newport Beach, CA
Current Employee - Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life

Pros

Great Benefits. The company provides excellent benefits and tries to be a "do good things" company. They take care of their employees with a large number working there over 20+ years. Pacific Life is an old company that will be around for years to come so there is no worry about chaning markets and layoffs. They seem comitted to hiring people when they need them verus staffing up and down like other companies in the industry. Most Pacific Life staff had a deep understanding of the over all business and understand what each division does. They often use the the term "working for the Whale" when people start to talk about benefiting their division only, really pressing the One company approach.

Cons

Pacific Life is an old company adn they have a lot of people who have been there for 20+ years. There is a lot of difficulty in getting processes and procedure changed from the "this is the way we have always done it" approach. Politics are something to be mastered either before working here or while working here else you will not stay aroudn very long. I have heard from many people that the average employee usually leaves in the first few years or they are a long term employee. there are very few people who leave after 5 to 10 years.

Please look outside the company for additional Senior management. It would be nice to have fresh ideas and perspectives on how things can be done and run.

reviews filtered by

Somewhat misleading

I worked at Pacific Life full-time

Pros

Good Benefits and pay structure

Cons

Shifting and conflicting expectations by management

If you say something stick with it. . .

The only people's opinions, or ideas, that matter are Sr. Management

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The one thing this company has going for it is the outstanding benefits package they offer (Medical, Dental, elective vacation, 401k, etc.), however, don't confuse benefits with salary.

Cons

PL claims to have an "open door" policy, meaning you can approach management for anything (workflow ideas, concerns, etc.), however, this is STRONGLY discouraged! The moment you speak up about something you'll end up with a target on your back. I was with this company for many many years and watched the corporate cultural spiral into a very negative environment. They put extremely closed-minded individuals into leadership rolls, move them into a product they know absolutely nothing about, and then wonder where things went wrong. However, have no worries...it's ALWAYS the non-management people that are to blame. Management does not, and will not, take ANY accountability. They will flat out LIE. It got to the point I would have to document all conversations so that when my manager would deny saying something I could go back to the documentation to cover my a**. He would still deny it...even when multiple team members confirmed hearing, or being told, the exact same thing. Of course, there are some good departments within the company, however, they are becoming fewer and farther in between. I have read many of the reviews on this site and would have to say I agree with so much of what many have posted. One area of the company, in particular, runs their division like the town of Stepford. I found it to be the craziest thing I've ever seen. There were days where my co-workers and I would look at each other in total disbelief to the things we would see and hear.

HR is absolutely no help. They pretend to conduct an investigation and then nothing is ever done...EVER! In the end, you end up feeling like HR is there to help build a case against you, not to help you find some sort of resolution.

The only way you will advance in this company is to join the "Stepford" team, seriously.

Treat your employees with respect and like adults, instead of being intimidated that the people doing the job may actually know what they're talking about.

There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Life