Pacific Oaks College

This place is hell

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Pacific Oaks College

Pros

The location of the school is great. You are right next to downtown Pasadena and their wonderful resturants and places to shop.

Cons

There is no room for advancement. They would tell people that they are being promoted and give them new job titles but people were forced to keep the same pay. The school was bought by the The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. TCS has just recently fired many employees and Pacific oaks has fired many of their employees also. Many new people were hired but are not qualified for their job. They run the school like telemarketing business not like a place school

Try to bring up employee moral. Many people are not happy with their pay or benefits but there is other ways to make employees happy. Bring back the company parties to help bring moral and hire people who are capable of during their job.

5 Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Oaks College (View Most Recent)

Sad and unfortunate

Former Employee - Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Pacific Oaks College

Pros

In hopes that new blood can keep this great institution afloat, bring it back to the incredible history of many years gone by.

Cons

Unfortunately for the past 14+ yrs this incredible school has gone through some tragic transitions. The past admin dragged it through the mud. The future of this once great institution feels very unstable.

Look back at 1990 when this school was shining, rich and busy with students trying to enroll. Bring back this foundation, this vision, this incredible model for early education that was known throughout the country.

unfortunate working environment, high stress, high turnover--avoid at all costs

I worked at Pacific Oaks College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Most of the staff are a plus. I believe since it is hell working for this institution, staff band together as a way to cope with the day to day stress and turmoil of this place.
    *Food, I guess? The company likes to constantly buy you food and it is perhaps for you to eat your feelings?

Cons

Where do I begin:

1. High stress
    2. High Turnover--constantly receiving emails of people whose position was "eliminated" only to have a replacement with the exact same type of responsibilities. You're not fooling anyone.
    3. The college's own asset--students, are viewed solely as profit. This fact alone put a bad taste in my mouth.
    4. In regards to point 3, you come to the institution in the first place because they sell you on how they are socially just, anti-bias, etc. Once you are in, you realize that you were sold on things that aren't true.
    5. No clarity on what your role actually is...no matter what position you have.
    6. Communication between departments is absolutely terrible.....Atrocious, the WORST! No one can communicate effectively. When events do happen with various departments coordinating it, all hell breaks loose.
    7. When you envision a draconian work place, where all of its employees are constantly battling with depression, praying to be laid off, or are using all hours of the day to apply to other jobs.....you found it at PO!

I really do wish management would take this advice. If this school continues as it was while I was there, it will be another for-profit-degree-mill that does not serve our society but hinders it. This company struggles internally and a lot has to be done.

There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Oaks College