There are newer employer reviews for Palantir Technologies

Good times on boats

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Software being used to tack important problems. It's gratifying to see the projects I've worked on being used on real problems.
- Coworkers are, by and large, fantastic. Fun people to work with who you can trust to do good work. I feel like I have a lot to learn from the people around me.
- I can see why the culture might seem intimidating at first but as a bona fide antisocial developer stereotype, I would say that my experience here has been quite welcoming.
- I believe the company has a large potential upside. Having seen our software deployed and used, I think we have the potential to be very successful.

Cons

- There are definitely growing pains. With the size of the company and by which it's trying to grow, there is a large burden of recruiting on everyone. This can be tiring but the load will be better distributed as we grow.
- Work-life balance could be better. I definitely work a lot, but I wouldn't be willing to do so if I didn't enjoy the work I'm doing.
- A lot of effort is being put into "preserving the culture" as we grow but I think care should be taken not to let this alienate new people. I think if I had interned/started a year later than I did, I would not have felt as at home and welcome here as I do.

70 Other Employee Reviews for Palantir Technologies (View Most Recent)

Amazing company with important work and positive culture, but feeling some growing pains

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Important work. We have opportunities here to leverage technology against our customers' hardest challenges and make a significant impact.
    - Incredibly talented and motivated colleagues.
    - An amazing product. Unlike other companies where I've worked, Palantir does not send their BD/implementation teams out to sell and service a product with gaping holes and bugs.
    - The company and employees don't take themselves too seriously, but we take our work very seriously. At Palantir, we have a laid-back meritocracy favoring problem solving and entrepreneurship.
    - Great benefits and perks. Palantir covers 100% of our health insurance premium, as well as other perks to make life easier.
    - We are moving towards a better work-life balance. We will always have plenty of work to do here, but as we are able to recruit and hire more employees, and the average age of employees increases, the culture is shifting subtly towards better balance.

Cons

- Though transparency is a corporate value here, as we continue to grow, decisions are made by a smaller percentage of the company and the results and reasoning behind those decisions is disseminated slowly.
    - Professional development has not been a priority during the company's first years.
    - The culture is changing. We're not a start-up anymore and fewer new hires act like owners, despite stock options.

Protect the culture and atmosphere. Don't pretend that there are no politics or true managers here, because those issues do come into play. More experienced team members need to cultivate a positive environment, as well as recognizing valuable contributions that new hires can make. I think we're in danger of creating an elite that has been here for a few years and excludes newer team members from decision making and opportunities.

Best place to work, ever.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Important work that creates new technology, solves important problems - work with real meaning.
    Talented coworkers always have something to teach and to learn - collaboration is amazing.
    Equity packages with little risk and still lots of upside (even for new employees)
    Upper management is filled with super sharp and hard working people who care deeply about the success of the org and its people. They're not perfect, but the best I've ever seen.
    A great culture where people who want to take initiative are rewarded and lauded. The culture is protected and cared for to make sure this place doesn't lose its magic.
    A management team that's very introspective, transparent place always trying to learn and do better.
    A true meritocracy, where the best idea wins and seniority and titles are not important, just good work.

Cons

Some managers are sharp individuals but poor managers. Despite best efforts to train them, some folks suffer due to this.
    Company is growing fast and growing pains abound. The company is working hard to offset these issues, but new ways of doing things need to be implemented.
    Another growth issue: upper management is overworked more than anyone, leading to some pressing issue slipping through the cracks. They get fixed eventually, but there's pain in the meantime.
    People work hard and some groups try to maintain an unsustainable pace that leads to burnout and jealousy of people perceived to have "cushier" jobs.
    Overall compensation is high (due to stock options that are/will be worth real money) but cash compensation is lower than industry (not ridiculously so, but low, yeah)

Raise salaries or talent will flee (I've heard this from new and old-timers alike)
    Listen to reports of crappy managers seriously and take them to task instead of letting them punish their reports

There are newer employer reviews for Palantir Technologies