There are newer employer reviews for Palantir Technologies

Rock solid team doing great work

Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Almost all employees are extremely competent, friendly, and have a great attitude. The "No A-hole" policy works.
- The software and the team are actually making a difference in the world. The missions in antifraud, law enforcement, national security, and others are really inspirational.
- A real commitment to protecting privacy and civil liberties. I, personally, feel much better about the government agencies that have my personal info using Palantir, than any other software that does similar things (and probably hasn't built protections in from the ground-up.)
- The technical bar is high, and there's lots of opportunity to learn from others who are better than you (and not stuck up about it... see the first point.)
- Lots of individual autonomy. Employees are treated as adults in regards to time management, resource usage, technology choices, etc.
- Company leadership has a commitment to transparency, which is especially important in the face of some of the tricky moral dilemmas that come with access to lots of data. When there are issues, they're brought out in the open and discussed.
- Lots of perks (meals, snacks, swag, laundry, massage, chiro, physician, events). Other reviews have mentioned meals as a way of chaining you to your desk, but that hasn't been my experience. Nobody cares if I fill up to-go containers and bring dinner home to the family, or invite outside friends to eat a nice leisurely lunch (see point about being treated like an adult).
- Equity that will actually be worth something.

Cons

- There have been some growing pains as the company expands rapidly. It's starting to feel less like one big happy family and more fragmented.
- There is always so much to do, and always too few hands to do it. Since we have a lot of autonomy to dictate our own load/pace, we can often self-impose too much, and/or try to keep up with the next guy who is inevitably whip-smart and hard working. I almost always feel like I'm behind (which, admittedly, may be my own anxiety - nobody is harping on me to catch up.)
- All leads are promoted from within, which means that while they will definitely understand your engineering challenges, they may still be honing their management and people skills.
- The recruiting/interviewing load can eat up a lot of time during the heavy seasons, killing whole weeks of independent productivity. It's important work, but can be draining.
- People outside the company call us "secretive" and "shadowy" and accuse us of doing nefarious things that we don't do. Inevitably, arguing and feeding the trolls just makes you sound worse.
- Salaries are lower than other silicon valley companies. It's enough to live comfortably, and all those pros definitely soften the blow.

Keep up the trend of reaching out to employees to hear their concerns, and don't be afraid to take bold moves to keep the company as great a place to work as it grows.

reviews filtered by

Love it. Very, very happy

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- I work with some truly brilliant people. The value of this can't be overstated. Every corner of Palantir is full of incredibly talented people (from our Directors to the legal team to the guys who stock the shelves in the kitchen... highly talented and hard-working people).
    - The work seriously, actually matters. When you build the product and train the users who are finding bad guys, solving crimes, preventing money from disappearing to fraud, etc. It's great to point at a headline and say "my work enabled that."
    - Low levels are empowered to own their work. This is super important. By and large, most employees have clear expectations of their work output and are trusted to own it. I've seen some complaints about meddling managers, but I don't see it at all. It's standard to have a ~30 minute 1:1 with your lead, which I really like. My 1:1's are essentially my lead asking "How are things going? Anything blocking you? What can I do to help you out?" Super low overhead (and very healthy).
    - And I have to highlight the equity upside... Palantir has the potential to be hugely valuable, which, in turn, has the potential to be very good for employees.

Cons

Reading some of the other reviews, it's like we're not working at the same company... it's honestly mind boggling. Yes, we are growing quickly and that induces lots of struggles (any company that's roughly doubling each year has these issues), but it's still a great place to work.

I also second the other review about "work-life balance" being perceived as a con, but it's not to me. Yes, I work a lot a lot... but I work on my own schedule, have unlimited vacation time, and the company treats us exceptionally well (comfortable offices, very accommodating IT teams, food/drink, etc). I'm genuinely happy at work (and I wake up every day excited to go to work)... so yeah, the hours are long, but for me, I like that. If you are expecting a 9 to 5, clock-in/clock-out type of job, you're not going to like Palantir. For me? It's great.

Keep doing what you're doing! Like everyone says: try to keep growing the company without killing the culture.

Good times on boats

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Software being used to tack important problems. It's gratifying to see the projects I've worked on being used on real problems.
    - Coworkers are, by and large, fantastic. Fun people to work with who you can trust to do good work. I feel like I have a lot to learn from the people around me.
    - I can see why the culture might seem intimidating at first but as a bona fide antisocial developer stereotype, I would say that my experience here has been quite welcoming.
    - I believe the company has a large potential upside. Having seen our software deployed and used, I think we have the potential to be very successful.

Cons

- There are definitely growing pains. With the size of the company and by which it's trying to grow, there is a large burden of recruiting on everyone. This can be tiring but the load will be better distributed as we grow.
    - Work-life balance could be better. I definitely work a lot, but I wouldn't be willing to do so if I didn't enjoy the work I'm doing.
    - A lot of effort is being put into "preserving the culture" as we grow but I think care should be taken not to let this alienate new people. I think if I had interned/started a year later than I did, I would not have felt as at home and welcome here as I do.

There are newer employer reviews for Palantir Technologies