There are newer employer reviews for Palantir Technologies

Palantir is the absolute hardest, and most rewarding job I've ever had

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my nearly two years with Palantir, I'm certain that I've had a much bigger outcome on the impact I worked in government for seven years to affect: A government making better decisions driven by better information. It sounds cheesy, it's at times a slow and hard fought battle but we're actually winning it. If you've ever worked with the government you know what a huge accomplishment that is. I am also extraordinarily lucky to work with the highest integrity, smartest people I've ever known. Working a campaign in 2006 I thought I had worked with the most capable, tight knit, well motivated team I would have the fortune to work with. Only Palantir has topped that experience. Even if you forget both of the above reasons to work for the company - which are by far the best reasons to work here - they treat us extremely well. It's not just the big decisions like compensation and benefits, but also hundreds of small decisions where an ordinary company would optimize on keeping things simpler or spending less money, and it's clear that Palantir as a company prefers in each case to actually make my life easier and more productive, even if it means spending more money.

Cons

The work - both in volume and in degree of difficulty - is intense. Not only are we always trying to make something improbable happen with government customers in Silicon Valley timelines, but we're on the hook for the quality of that work in a big way. Making this all come together is definitely the most challenging professional experience of my life, and one that I have not always gotten right.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on making everything we've done so far work at greater scale.

Other Employee Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Palantir is awesome!

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Choosing to work at Palantir has been the best career move of my life. I liked my old job, but I love Palantir! I do work long hours, but when you really enjoy your work the time flies by. Having worked at Palantir for a while now I can tell you that a lot of the people that are griping about not being integrated quickly are because it's a high speed and challenging work environment. Most people coming into the DC office are not familiar with the flexible work environment that Palantir provides. Nor are they familiar with how things work at a fast moving company with streamlined oversight. At Palantir the only barrier to success is you. Sure you are given left and right limits, but really you control your own destiny at Palantir. I love this and try to seize every opportunity I can, however it is not necessarily easy to adjust to this type of environment. I think this is where some of the frustration from other reviews comes from. In my experience I did not truly "get it" until after 6 months of hard work. The personal growth I have gained at Palantir has been invaluable as well; in three years I have noticed so much personal growth in my professional skills. This is because I feel like I have been given the opportunity to do a lot of things that I would have never had the chance to do anywhere else. Even with all of the awesomeness of personal growth, career development, and working with awesome people, you also get some fantastic perks which you can read about on the website.

Cons

Palantir is so different from a lot of companies that it is often hard for people to adjust. This in turn can cause friction with people that don't adjust well to change.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

Fun, friendly, fulfilling, high expectations.

Former Intern - Forward Deployed Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - Forward Deployed Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Palantir Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very fun atmosphere and people. Lots of exciting events and weekly traditions (pizza night, ultimate frisbee, Halo, etc.) - People are mostly friendly, happy to see you. - Great mission that everyone's working for. - Everyone is super willing to help you out if you have a problem. I would IM people I'd never met but whose names I found on the Wiki and they would answer my questions right away. - They don't waist your time with administrative stuff.

Cons

- Very high expectations. People often work long/hard hours. People seemed to be a little fearful of keeping their jobs. - The older engineers were hard to approach in person, didn't seem interested in making friendships (at least with interns). I often felt like they thought I was wasting their time and that my questions were dumb. - There's an attitude that some may find to be "elitist" that most of the employees and executives often give off. - Some, if not many, engineers didn't seem super enthused about the mission. Some seemed to just be there because it was a job, or because it was fun.

Advice to Management

- Limit the amount of times you say "we're the best." Don't say/imply that you're perfect. You have your flaws and difficulties (mostly code-based) like every company does. - Be more approachable. Don't always be in a hurry everywhere.