Palantir Technologies

www.palantir.com
  www.palantir.com
There are newer employer reviews for Palantir Technologies

Fun, friendly, fulfilling, high expectations.

Former Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Palantir Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Very fun atmosphere and people. Lots of exciting events and weekly traditions (pizza night, ultimate frisbee, Halo, etc.)
- People are mostly friendly, happy to see you.
- Great mission that everyone's working for.
- Everyone is super willing to help you out if you have a problem. I would IM people I'd never met but whose names I found on the Wiki and they would answer my questions right away.
- They don't waist your time with administrative stuff.

Cons

- Very high expectations. People often work long/hard hours. People seemed to be a little fearful of keeping their jobs.
- The older engineers were hard to approach in person, didn't seem interested in making friendships (at least with interns). I often felt like they thought I was wasting their time and that my questions were dumb.
- There's an attitude that some may find to be "elitist" that most of the employees and executives often give off.
- Some, if not many, engineers didn't seem super enthused about the mission. Some seemed to just be there because it was a job, or because it was fun.

- Limit the amount of times you say "we're the best." Don't say/imply that you're perfect. You have your flaws and difficulties (mostly code-based) like every company does.
- Be more approachable. Don't always be in a hurry everywhere.

87 Other Employee Reviews for Palantir Technologies (View Most Recent)

Love it. Very, very happy

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- I work with some truly brilliant people. The value of this can't be overstated. Every corner of Palantir is full of incredibly talented people (from our Directors to the legal team to the guys who stock the shelves in the kitchen... highly talented and hard-working people).
    - The work seriously, actually matters. When you build the product and train the users who are finding bad guys, solving crimes, preventing money from disappearing to fraud, etc. It's great to point at a headline and say "my work enabled that."
    - Low levels are empowered to own their work. This is super important. By and large, most employees have clear expectations of their work output and are trusted to own it. I've seen some complaints about meddling managers, but I don't see it at all. It's standard to have a ~30 minute 1:1 with your lead, which I really like. My 1:1's are essentially my lead asking "How are things going? Anything blocking you? What can I do to help you out?" Super low overhead (and very healthy).
    - And I have to highlight the equity upside... Palantir has the potential to be hugely valuable, which, in turn, has the potential to be very good for employees.

Cons

Reading some of the other reviews, it's like we're not working at the same company... it's honestly mind boggling. Yes, we are growing quickly and that induces lots of struggles (any company that's roughly doubling each year has these issues), but it's still a great place to work.

I also second the other review about "work-life balance" being perceived as a con, but it's not to me. Yes, I work a lot a lot... but I work on my own schedule, have unlimited vacation time, and the company treats us exceptionally well (comfortable offices, very accommodating IT teams, food/drink, etc). I'm genuinely happy at work (and I wake up every day excited to go to work)... so yeah, the hours are long, but for me, I like that. If you are expecting a 9 to 5, clock-in/clock-out type of job, you're not going to like Palantir. For me? It's great.

Keep doing what you're doing! Like everyone says: try to keep growing the company without killing the culture.

Good times on boats

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Software being used to tack important problems. It's gratifying to see the projects I've worked on being used on real problems.
    - Coworkers are, by and large, fantastic. Fun people to work with who you can trust to do good work. I feel like I have a lot to learn from the people around me.
    - I can see why the culture might seem intimidating at first but as a bona fide antisocial developer stereotype, I would say that my experience here has been quite welcoming.
    - I believe the company has a large potential upside. Having seen our software deployed and used, I think we have the potential to be very successful.

Cons

- There are definitely growing pains. With the size of the company and by which it's trying to grow, there is a large burden of recruiting on everyone. This can be tiring but the load will be better distributed as we grow.
    - Work-life balance could be better. I definitely work a lot, but I wouldn't be willing to do so if I didn't enjoy the work I'm doing.
    - A lot of effort is being put into "preserving the culture" as we grow but I think care should be taken not to let this alienate new people. I think if I had interned/started a year later than I did, I would not have felt as at home and welcome here as I do.

There are newer employer reviews for Palantir Technologies