I will never forget my time at Palantir and the number of amazing and talented people I got to work with.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

The mission comes first, and everyone believes in Saving the Shire, and it is beautiful.
You know that person you meet that blows you away with how intelligent and introspective they are? Ok, now realize that everyone who works at Palantir is that type of "one-of-a-kind." The amount of brain power in one building is unbelievable.
The benefits are fantastic and people deserve the benefits with how hard they are working.
Your work is actually changing the world and Karp puts his people and the mission first.
Every support team is fantastic! They will go out of their way to take care of things for you.

Cons

It is hard to take time off. If you do, you end up being extremely out of the loop when you get back and it is stressful.
There are never enough people on your team to finish all of the work.
Be prepared to be on your computer on weekends and at night.
It is not a 9-5 job so be prepared to come early and stay late.
Sometimes you realize that you are taking the small things for granted because everything is taken care of for you. Ask your friends about their jobs and you will realize how lucky you have it at Palantir.
Feedback can be out of the blue.

As you grow, try to stay ahead of the work instead of being behind it. People will burn out if they are not given enough help and support from their leads and/or upper management. Implement some sort of training regimen for non-BD folks. It is daunting to be thrown in and only given feedback when you fail. Some guidance for at least the first month would be helpful. Encourage social interactions among Palantirians so that members of different teams can meet each other.

Other Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Recruiting at Palantir

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Nice/great/talented people
    -The mission really does impact people in a great way
    -Free Food

Cons

-Welcome to mini-Google, in other words recruiting hell without the great pay.
    -A huge team for a company that has less than 1000 people.
    -Located in downtown, huge parking problem!
    -Broken recruiting process.

Stopping letting all these former Googlers recreate their mini hell, take a lesson from eBay, Facebook, or any other Fortune 500 company that isn't Google.

Palantir is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

I can't think of a better place to work than Palantir. I've worked at several tech companies during my time including several big names you have all heard of, and I could never imagine going back to those places after having worked at Palantir.

I'd like to mention early on that Palantir is a VERY intense place to work. You're surrounded by super smart people who are incredibly passionate about our mission, and those of us in the field are working directly with customers whose job responsibilities include keeping citizens safe. I've noticed a few very negative reviews of Palantir but I suspect most of those come from people who arrive at Palantir thinking it was a 9-5 job. It's not -- everyone is expected to execute as strongly as the person next to them, and those who don't contribute are obvious to the rest of the team. Some folks may be surprised that they didn't realize what it was that they signed up for, but I assure you everyone is given notice and a fair warning if they are underperforming.

Working at Palantir is different from anything else out there. How many computer science students can say they've worked in war zones as rockets exploded 100 ft away? How many Silicon Valley startups have offices around the world and encourage you to explore international opportunities? How many of us can look back and say we honestly worked on projects that saved countless lives or made the world a better place? In the Valley most people are either working on advertising systems (Google) or tweaking social networking platforms (Facebook, Twitter). The only other companies I can think of with such world-changing ambitions are Tesla and SpaceX.

Beyond the mission itself, the people at Palantir are top tier. When you sign on as a member of the business team, the Forward Deployed Engineers, you're joining a regiment of the best of the best. I've never seen any environment where so many super smart people are so passionate about their work, and it certainly shows. You also get a chance to experience first-hand what a profound impact we're having in so many areas. It's not something we can typically talk about publicly, but it's more rewarding than anything I've ever done before.

The company also treats its employees really well. There are the usual perks on the level of Facebook and Google, including the best corporate food I've ever experienced (the HQ office has a full cooking staff with locally sourced organic/grass-fed/free-range/etc food). We also have a world class ops team that takes care of us so we can focus on our work.

When you join Palantir, know that you're immersing yourself into a different experience than anything else you have seen before, but even though people joke about us working too hard and getting too involved, I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Cons

If you're looking for a 9-5 job, you're looking in the wrong place. Try Google or Facebook if you want a cozy California life.

The company has done a great job at adapting to its growing pains as they come up. I think the only real con I can think of is the salary cap -- people have been with the company for many years and raises are rare, even with top performance. Yes, we get equity bonuses and our cash bonuses can convert into more equity, but the once-youthful staff is aging and real life catches up eventually with marriages and mortgage payments. I'm not suggesting we need anything like 15% raises per year or something structured like you see in the big firms, but even keeping up with inflation would be a good start.

Keep adapting to our growing pains. Otherwise, keep up the great work.

There are newer employer reviews for Palantir Technologies.

Worked for Palantir Technologies? Contribute to the Community!