Palm Beach County School District

www.palmbeachschools.org
Unclaimed Profile
There are newer employer reviews for Palm Beach County School District

Not bad, but it depends on your school site

Current Employee - High School Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL
Current Employee - High School Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great colleagues who are willing to collaborate and share (but this depends on your school - I have heard of schools where no one shares); for the most part, students are engaged (but again, this depends on your school); Technology is mostly available, and mostly up-to-date; at my school, the administrators don't micro-manage my content or require a lot of time-wasting lesson plans or reports. Bottom line, this district is HUGE, so you will see the whole range of school facilities, students, administrators and parent involvement.

Cons

*Waaaaaay too many middle managers at the Taj Mahal, who have forgotten what it's like to be in a classroom with students. *No chance for promotion unless you're willing to spend thousands of dollars getting a bogus Ed Leadership masters degree. *Top-down management can be disastrous. If you have a district semester exam, you're screwed if you don't zoom through the scope and sequence faster than your students can learn. (Hint: last year's biology 1st semester exam. *Training on any technology is pretty much self-instruction. At my school, the technology person doesn't even understand the technology, so no way can that person train anyone else to use it. *6-year textbook adoption schedule means that by year 5 or 6, most of the textbooks are pretty raggedy. *Helicopter-parent complaining means administration will cave in and side with the parent. (Obviously this depends on your school) *Low salaries and almost non-existent raises.

Advice to Management

Provide the supplies we need to teach! Seriously, we don't get any copy paper? Administrators and curriculum specialists should be required to get back in the classroom on a regular basis so they can experience what they're requiring us to do.

Other Employee Reviews for Palm Beach County School District

1. excellent experience

I worked at Palm Beach County School District full-time

Pros

experience is as good as education when it comes to job promotions

Cons

don't have any, I would still be there if not for my wife career

2. Really depends on the school and the administration

I worked at Palm Beach County School District full-time

Pros

Well organized district with a lot of professional development.

Cons

Very difficult to get credit for prior experience.