What it's like to work at Panda Express

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Career advancement
Good culture
Values hard work and dedication

Cons

Expect to work very hard and to work long hours.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place to work if you can't find anything better

Current Employee - Back of House I in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Back of House I in Boise, ID

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive and generally better to start than most other fast food restaurants. Be aware that you will work hard to earn that extra pay.

Free meal with every 5 hour shift.

Cons

Training is very poor. Thrown into the position without getting the proper training then being reprimanded when the work is not being done properly.

General Managers sometimes don't know how to complete various tasks related to each position and have to ask employees how to do the work; this falls back on poor training.

Promises of getting trained for other positions but not getting the full training so no raise but still expected to do the work. As an example, I have been partially trained for front of house 1 and back of house 2 (cook) but no raise for either training or completion of training. I am still expected to work those positions if needed on the schedule.

Managers preach the company values but don't follow them. They are not Proactive, do not share Respect, limit Growth, sometimes interfere with Great Operations, and are rarely seen Giving back to hard workers.

Schedule is not consistent and is posted weekly. Typically I had to wait until Thursday to find out what my hours for the next week would be, so don't expect to have much time to make plans for events or family. Expect to work weekends unless you have a second job that doesn't allow you to come in during regular operation hours.

Advice to Management

Upper Management should review lower management to make sure they are following policies correctly. Everyone should be following company policies and values.

2. Stressful, tiring, and a lot of work.

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Panda Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free food on lunch break
    -Nice employees (sometimes)

Cons

-No standard training (So you don't learn how to do most things til later on)
    -They told me it was a serving/cashier job (I had no idea I had to clean the bathrooms too)
    -Not enough employees
    -Hard to ring up customers while cleaning tables and serving food
    -Have to do MANY things at a time
    -Get yelled at for everything, even when its not your fault
    -You have the stress of making sure you count the right amount of money in cash register
    -it's hard to one thing right cos there's 500 other things you have to do.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees and maybe some that are hired specifically to clean so other workers can focus on being cashiers or cooks. A lot more efficient that way.