Get Ride of the Pressure to Attend Landmark and this would be a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like this company, I really do, besides the opportunities at the restaurant level, there
are many many corporate advancement channels available. The company has a
great model, serves high quality food, I don't know any other similar company that
hand slices all their vegetables

Cons

The down side to all this, is managers, not employees are taken advantage of. Sure,
the BOH and counter people work hard, and sure they have to stand on their feet,
but so do teachers and beat cops. Managers are under tremendous, and I mean
tremendous pressure to attend Landmark. If you research the history of Landmark,
which used to be called EST, you may not be so enthralled about Landmark. You
may also want to research news stories about Landmark as well. If Andrew Cherng
finds Landmark useful in his life good for him, but he has to get past forcing it down
the throats of his workers. He has said it is not required, but I have never met a
Panda Manager who felt that it was not required, they all felt they had to attend
landmark classes. I can tell you, and I have spoken to many many people from
Panda who went to Landmark, that not one, and I am not exaggerating, found it to be
of any benefit at all. Managers are under pressure to keep costs in line, and they
should, but all Panda's training is Landmark and New Way of Being, and many
managers are clueless and untrained about inventory management, To be honest,
Peter is out of touch with his managers. His ACO's and RDO's are under the same
pressure with Landmark and New Way of Being. There are endless meetings
drawing three circles, nothing is ever accomplished, inventories are out of whack,
overtime mounts up, or is avoided by understaffing, but everyone spends hours filling
in three circles week after week.
Managers all must have cell phones because that is how the ACO's communicate
with them, but I have never heard of anyone being reimbursed for this. If the
company insists on communicating in this fashion, they should be either supplying
phones like other companies do or reimbursing their managers. The same goes with
travel, managers should be reimbursed for the mileage they incur going to meetings,
running errands to buy supplies for the store, etc, but to the best of my knowledge
no manager is reimbursed for running errands for the benefit of the company.
Overall, I feel Panda is a good place to work, their values of wanting to provide an
outstanding dining experience and their emphasis on a clean environment is great
but Landmark and New Way of Being have got to go.

With all due respect the role of Landmark has got to be seriously looked at. I can tell
you from personal experience that it is almost universal that employees feel it is a
100% waste of time and money and the only reason anyone attends is because of
the tremendous pressure they feel to attend. I cannot tell you how many managers
literally cry saying they will loose their jobs if they do not attend Landmark. Upper
management has to understand that this is the reality for the managers. Andrew says
attending Landmark is not mandatory, but no one believes, I know, I have asked over
and over and the answer, told with a request for stick confidentially, is always the
same, "If I don't go to Landmark, I will loose my job." or 'If I don't go to Landmark I
will not get promoted." Now think about it, if attending Landmark is not required,
why does everyone answer this way?
I would suggest that management have a more defined bonus program. Store
managers seem to be in a constant state of confusion about bonus policies, as do
ACO's.
I am giving Andrew Cherng a BIG thumbs down and the culture and values a one star
rating because of the pressure to attend Landmark and to adhere to its values.
Andrew, imho is out of touch with reality when it comes to Landmark. If he has found
it useful in his life, that is wonderful for him and Peggy, but he needs to stop force
feeding it in one form or the other to his employees and he needs to understand how
the fear of not going to Landmark effects his workers. Andrew needs to have more
effort spent on training his managers and ACO's in the skills that make great
managers, skills like personnel management, hiring, building customer relations,
inventory control, continuous improvement, problem solving and stay the heck out of
their personal affairs.