Panda Express

There are newer employer reviews for Panda Express

Lead Counter Help

Current Employee - Lead Counter Help in Lombard, IL
Current Employee - Lead Counter Help in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules. Fair Pay. Career advance opportunities

Cons

Hard to get promoted. Working in heat.

Focus more on employees

390 Other Employee Reviews for Panda Express (View Most Recent)

Get Ride of the Pressure to Attend Landmark and this would be a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like this company, I really do, besides the opportunities at the restaurant level, there
    are many many corporate advancement channels available. The company has a
    great model, serves high quality food, I don't know any other similar company that
    hand slices all their vegetables

Cons

The down side to all this, is managers, not employees are taken advantage of. Sure,
    the BOH and counter people work hard, and sure they have to stand on their feet,
    but so do teachers and beat cops. Managers are under tremendous, and I mean
    tremendous pressure to attend Landmark. If you research the history of Landmark,
    which used to be called EST, you may not be so enthralled about Landmark. You
    may also want to research news stories about Landmark as well. If Andrew Cherng
    finds Landmark useful in his life good for him, but he has to get past forcing it down
    the throats of his workers. He has said it is not required, but I have never met a
    Panda Manager who felt that it was not required, they all felt they had to attend
    landmark classes. I can tell you, and I have spoken to many many people from
    Panda who went to Landmark, that not one, and I am not exaggerating, found it to be
    of any benefit at all. Managers are under pressure to keep costs in line, and they
    should, but all Panda's training is Landmark and New Way of Being, and many
    managers are clueless and untrained about inventory management, To be honest,
    Peter is out of touch with his managers. His ACO's and RDO's are under the same
    pressure with Landmark and New Way of Being. There are endless meetings
    drawing three circles, nothing is ever accomplished, inventories are out of whack,
    overtime mounts up, or is avoided by understaffing, but everyone spends hours filling
    in three circles week after week.
    Managers all must have cell phones because that is how the ACO's communicate
    with them, but I have never heard of anyone being reimbursed for this. If the
    company insists on communicating in this fashion, they should be either supplying
    phones like other companies do or reimbursing their managers. The same goes with
    travel, managers should be reimbursed for the mileage they incur going to meetings,
    running errands to buy supplies for the store, etc, but to the best of my knowledge
    no manager is reimbursed for running errands for the benefit of the company.
    Overall, I feel Panda is a good place to work, their values of wanting to provide an
    outstanding dining experience and their emphasis on a clean environment is great
    but Landmark and New Way of Being have got to go.

With all due respect the role of Landmark has got to be seriously looked at. I can tell
    you from personal experience that it is almost universal that employees feel it is a
    100% waste of time and money and the only reason anyone attends is because of
    the tremendous pressure they feel to attend. I cannot tell you how many managers
    literally cry saying they will loose their jobs if they do not attend Landmark. Upper
    management has to understand that this is the reality for the managers. Andrew says
    attending Landmark is not mandatory, but no one believes, I know, I have asked over
    and over and the answer, told with a request for stick confidentially, is always the
    same, "If I don't go to Landmark, I will loose my job." or 'If I don't go to Landmark I
    will not get promoted." Now think about it, if attending Landmark is not required,
    why does everyone answer this way?
    I would suggest that management have a more defined bonus program. Store
    managers seem to be in a constant state of confusion about bonus policies, as do
    ACO's.
    I am giving Andrew Cherng a BIG thumbs down and the culture and values a one star
    rating because of the pressure to attend Landmark and to adhere to its values.
    Andrew, imho is out of touch with reality when it comes to Landmark. If he has found
    it useful in his life, that is wonderful for him and Peggy, but he needs to stop force
    feeding it in one form or the other to his employees and he needs to understand how
    the fear of not going to Landmark effects his workers. Andrew needs to have more
    effort spent on training his managers and ACO's in the skills that make great
    managers, skills like personnel management, hiring, building customer relations,
    inventory control, continuous improvement, problem solving and stay the heck out of
    their personal affairs.

Decent company to work for, great associates and interesting culture

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The associates are friendly, the environment is very people based, and the location of the headquarters is near so many great asian joints. Building is nice and well managed.

Cons

No such thing as a free Panda meal, price of the food is still pretty expensive after discount, sometimes it feels as though there are too many chiefs and not enough indians.

There are newer employer reviews for Panda Express