There are newer employer reviews for Pandora Media

Pandora cares about it's employees.

I have been working at Pandora Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pandora really tries to make it a great place to work by taking into consideration the needs of it's employees. There is really great work/life balance there.

Cons

The management is not great.

Advice to Management

Set clearer goals and communicate them to employees.

reviews filtered by

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Pandora Media full-time

Pros

One of the best places I've worked for. They really care for their employes and there are a lot of opportunities to grow with the company. A fun place with lots of interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Can't really think of one.

Advice to Management

Keep managing like a startup environment.

Nice people, awkward 'work' environment...

Former Employee - Web Developer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Pandora Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The stated values of the company are great: create a way for musicians to make a living outside the recording industry's boom or bust system, and provide a good work life balance for your employees. They also do lots of work to boost arts education in Oakland Public Schools.

Cons

They were kind of creepy about wanting to know who my friends were, and left me hanging in a very awkward position with a former coworker they pressured me into trying to recruit.

They made it very clear from the beginning that it's not a good idea to raise any concerns or be critical in any way, so I eventually became afraid that all the problems I was seeing were just inside me.

Image-related paranoia is very high here, weirdly. I totally understand the value of working under an NDA to protect technology and business plans and such, especially when your competition are big mean sharks, but it goes further than that at Pandora, even asking employees to refrain from talking to their spouses and significant others about having 'a bad day at work' because that might cast negativity on the company that could spread uncontrollably. I kid you not - this is actually what they told us during orientation.

I could not tell if I was working with good-hearted and otherwise competent people who were just unprepared for the changes the company was going through, or if I had gotten mixed up in some kind of entertainment/advertising industry sponsored experiment in psychological manipulation (or torture). At any rate, I came out the other end completely messed up in the head.