There are newer employer reviews for Pandora Media

cool company, but not very inspiring.

I worked at Pandora Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hip place to work. Free shows every week. Your friends will think you are cool working there.

Cons

Most of people who work at Pandora are in Sales. And it shows. Not new innovation. New competition from Apple iRadio will really hurt the business.

Advice to Management

Invest more in research and development.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Only been there 6 months, am cautiously optimistic

Current Employee - Non-technical Individual Contributor in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Non-technical Individual Contributor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Pandora Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reading the past reviews from the last few years was very enlightening. It appears that many of the problems people had with the culture and the organization have been fixed or are on their way. Management must have heard that people needed clearly defined goals and it at least in my department we have those. Also I haven't seen anyone work much more than a 40 hour week since I've been there (with a few exceptions). Senior management *seems* quite competent.

Cons

There are politics--most senior management that I've interacted with have been engaged and positively contributing to shared goals. There are a few people that have a lot of power and wield it inconsistently--some weeks you're "in", other weeks you're on the outs. That makes for some unnecessary stress. Also there are way more people needing engineering resources than there are engineers--so non-technical people can feel stuck just waiting around and get worried about the perception that their projects are stalled.

Advice to Management

In orientation you tell employees that you will focus on our strengths and not our weaknesses, and you want to develop our careers over the long term. Make sure all your managers have heard this and believe it--there are plenty managers focusing only on the weaknesses and there's some fear in the culture.

Loved my job. Did not enjoy the people or management.

Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Pandora Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-culture was laid back and easy going -location in downtown Oakland -cool product

Cons

-HR Dept. full of bad managers, poor leadership who were not interested in really solving problems -management has no idea what is going on at mid-level so there is lots of ineffciency and redundancy -misinformation constantly doled out -leadership was focused only on profit, not on people or career paths, ignored problems and never consulted senior managers about ways to improve service or product -management was absent, and when present allowed for culture of unprofessionalism -low-performing employees not reprimanded or terminated -we were told that we had a voice in changing company policy, but this never happened

Advice to Management

The HR dept. is the face of your company, yet they are the most unpleasant department, do something about it! Work on messaging--what the CEO/CFO/COO say are the values of the company should be attainable to everyone, not just a select few. Get some Standard Operating Procedures on the books--then stick to them. There was a lot of wishy washy indifference from many higher-ups and a lot of inefficient processes and procedures that wasted time and created hideouts for low-performing employees.