Pandora

There are newer employer reviews for Pandora

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Pandora full-time

Pros

One of the best places I've worked for. They really care for their employes and there are a lot of opportunities to grow with the company. A fun place with lots of interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Can't really think of one.

Keep managing like a startup environment.

50 Other Employee Reviews for Pandora (View Most Recent)

Nice people, awkward 'work' environment...

Former Employee - Web Developer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Pandora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The stated values of the company are great: create a way for musicians to make a living outside the recording industry's boom or bust system, and provide a good work life balance for your employees. They also do lots of work to boost arts education in Oakland Public Schools.

Cons

They were kind of creepy about wanting to know who my friends were, and left me hanging in a very awkward position with a former coworker they pressured me into trying to recruit.

They made it very clear from the beginning that it's not a good idea to raise any concerns or be critical in any way, so I eventually became afraid that all the problems I was seeing were just inside me.

Image-related paranoia is very high here, weirdly. I totally understand the value of working under an NDA to protect technology and business plans and such, especially when your competition are big mean sharks, but it goes further than that at Pandora, even asking employees to refrain from talking to their spouses and significant others about having 'a bad day at work' because that might cast negativity on the company that could spread uncontrollably. I kid you not - this is actually what they told us during orientation.

I could not tell if I was working with good-hearted and otherwise competent people who were just unprepared for the changes the company was going through, or if I had gotten mixed up in some kind of entertainment/advertising industry sponsored experiment in psychological manipulation (or torture). At any rate, I came out the other end completely messed up in the head.

Best summer internship of all time

Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Oakland, CA

I worked at Pandora as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Pandora has incredibly smart people dedicated to an awesome mission - bringing music people love wherever they are. As a company, Pandora pays a great deal of attention to individual development and professional growth. I loved working there and would love the opportunity to do so again in the future.

Cons

They have concerts from well known bands in the break room with kegs and lots of fun smiling people, so if you like working around 4 PM on a Friday, this probably isn't the place for you.

Keep being awesome