There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread

It's easy if you work evenings.

Current Employee - Team Member
Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

Fun working on the line
You get discounts
Can take home free pastries
Opportunities to be promoted since they promote from within

Cons

Closing sucks so much
Scheduling isn't available online

Online scheduling would be so much easier. Stop being mean, be more like the nice manager.

reviews filtered by

De-humanizing where employees treated like "sheep", and expected to be devoted to a minimum wage job.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

There are always openings (both for management and regular employees) due to the huge turnover. Its a very easy job to get. Managers eat for free, and employees get a discount.

Cons

Ive been in food service management for many years, and being a Panera GM was the WORST experience I ever had.

As a former General Manager, I speak from my position and from what I observed. Employees are treated like equipment. One of the first things a GM is told, is to get 3 (bad) "write-ups" on EVERYONE (in case you want to fire them). You are supposed to drill into their minds that "Its all about the bread" , and have the employees get in a group and chant "Bread is our passion, soul and expertise!" Quite embarrassing for all. If the day's business is slow, you have to send people home before they finish their shift (with no regard to the fact that these people need to make money). As a manager, expect to work 70++ hours a week, and spend more time making sandwiches and clearing the dining room, than running your "restaurant". Forget the bonus, the system is structured to make it impossible.

As an employee, expect very little gratitude. You'll be expected to learn ALL positions, make minimum wage, adjust YOUR schedule to fit theirs, get written up, and pretend you're have fun.

One of the main reasons I resigned, was how I was expected to (mis) treat the employees.

Its nothing more than a fast food place, with a few decorations.

To the St. Louis crowd: Its NOT all bout the bread...its all about your WORKERS! Instead of worrying about your PBR meetings and emails, you should be worrying about your cafe workers. By the way, the "E" in "P.E.G.S." should stand for "employee-satisfaction".

2. Your employees are not your slaves.

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Great co-workers
    Great discount (my store gave 70% off)
    Free soft drinks
    Free coffee (very helpful on those opening shifts!)
    At the end of every night, we gave our remaining bakery items (Bagels, breads, and a ton of pastries) to food banks and various charities in our community, which I loved.

Cons

Managers treat you like you are their property. Absolutely no respect for the employees. They believe that your life revolves around Panera and Panera alone. No respect for wanting to get a 2nd job, even if it is to help your family out. Want a day off? "Good luck" (in the words of my former GM).
    Be expected to stay late even if you can't. If you're injured, you'll just have to work through it. Managers texting and calling on their cell phones constantly, then actually trying to take your phone from you as if you were in high school. MAJOR favoritism. At least 3 new people hired a week. Not caring about family issues and if you need a day off for it. No respect for ones personal life. Lots of talking down from Managment.

Don't sit in the office all day on your phone and then get mad when one of the employees needs you.
    Don't treat your employees like they're slaves, you should value them.
    Why schedule someone until 3pm when the next person doesn't come in until 5pm AND THEN get mad when the first person says they can't stay until then?
    Have more respect for your employees personal lives.

There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread