Panera Bread

There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread

Went downhill FAST.

Current Employee - Cashier/Prep/Line
Current Employee - Cashier/Prep/Line

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Good food.
- You meet some really cool people and getting to know some of the everyday customers is fun
- I like the fact that Panera donates leftover products at the end of the night
- Opportunities to train for different positions
- Flexible Scheduling

Cons

- In my case, unless you work at a corporate store your pay is barely over minimum wage, even with previous experience.
- Again, at my franchise, there are no benefits even to full time employees.
- Pointless rules. Example: We can't take our food home even though we're still paying 50% for it. and god forbid you eat a broken cookie that would have been thrown away.
- No real opportunities to advance. Associate-> Associate Trainer(25 cent raise)->Manager
- Raises pretty much don't exist.
- In general I believe everything you hear when you get hired makes the company seem way better than it actually is, at least at my store.

If you're a manager try coming out of your office once in awhile and seeing what actually goes on in your store. When you see what actually goes on fire/discipline people who deserve it. Don't hold meetings or come out of your office after doing absolutely nothing all day just to yell at employees who have been doing what they're supposed to do all day and then not saying anything to the horrible employees.

1398 Other Employee Reviews for Panera Bread (View Most Recent)

super busy, short staffed

Former Employee - Bakery Cashier
    Former Employee - Bakery Cashier

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Employee discount 50%
    experience on how to bake certain things, or how to prepare certain drinks.
    staff members are pretty cool.

Cons

Little pay.
    unorganization (management)
    very unstable, things are constantly changing.
    Not flexible with taking time off.
    They will tell you to come in, and send u home an hour or two after if its not "busy" enough, regardless if you were scheduled.

Respect and appreciate your employees. Be more flexible, and definitely work on being a little more organized.
    Reward associates, give more recognition, and pay increases.

Misleading First Impression

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

Panera's reputation for community involvement
    You get a paycheck
    Some of the customers and employees are extremely nice
    They close at 9pm so no late late nights

Cons

You have to ask yourself, why are there so many job openings for managers at Panera Bread? Well, let me tell you...it is because managers are quitting, not getting fired (for the most part). Assistant Managers are treated like expendable trash at Panera Bread. We are expected to work AT LEAST 50 hours a week (although they tell you 45 when you interview, don't believe that). If you request time off your GM will give you attitude and grief about it because that means they may actually have to do some work in your absence! Speaking of GMs they are not required to work nights or weekends, so guess who's social life is ruined...that's right..yours! The associates are either treated like crap or royalty depending on how much the GM likes them. So if they are bffs with the GM, which happens often, then they get away with murder but if the GM has some sort of issue with them then they are walking on eggshells no matter how great of a job they do. If you are an experienced manager DO NOT APPLY TO WORK AT PANERA BREAD UNLESS YOU ARE ONE STEP AWAY FROM BEING HOMELESS AND HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS! You only get promoted because of who you know and if they like you! Competance and hardwork are irrelevant! I cannot wait for the day a submit my two weeks notice, it is already typed and ready to go!

Show interest in how assistant managers are treated and really try to find out why AM turnover is so high!

There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread