terrible management

Former Employee - Associate in Chattanooga, TN
Former Employee - Associate in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I lost nearly 100lb's because I got so sick of food when I worked for them.

Cons

The management only cares about food costs, Labor costs and there bonuses. My hours were cut down to 8 a week when they hired entirely too many people and the labor cost was through the roof. I lost health benefits and was ultimately forced to find another job.

Advice to Management

Care about your associates.

Other Employee Reviews for Panera Bread

Company success held back by simple factors throughout franchise.

Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Catering Coordinator position gives you the opportunity to network. Ideal for someone currently in night school or someone looking for quick cash while still job searching. Fun if you are good at managing people and time. If you care and train your team right (usually made up of teenagers and variety of managers) it will be a fun experience, but this job is not made for the long term. I loved talking to people and multitasking but in the end, it was not for me.

Cons

*No benefits!!!! Basically a full time position with no options for any insurance, vacation, sick days, etc. There is 401k option for everyone however. This is how it is in our franchise at least and was the main factor in me leaving. *Stressful. The person that takes this job has to have their stuff together. Paid hourly not salary (which might be a good thing, trust me) but constantly on the phone and email at work and at home with clients, managers and associates. Lots of time management and forethought. You need to think a week or so ahead at minimum. It's worth it for the pay I guess. But the pay is ONLY worth it if you're supplemented by another source of income (i.e. spouse, parents, etc) *Management is definitely not up to par. No line drawn between management and associates as far as fraternization. Managers are fairly young for the most part so this would make sense. But this is why cafes are run so poorly. What you get is managers drinking, smoking and talking in very vulgar ways with associates. This bleeds into how they handle situations and how they train new employees, who in turn, get in trouble for acting the same way management does. Unprofessional in every aspect. I had previously worked for a comparable company,also in the restaurant industry, which was very professional in work relationships, decision making and training so I know that this is possible. *Environment is ruthless. Upper management is run on fear which trickles down to associates. Food cost, overtime....whatever the new focus of the month is. It threatens their pay and so it's an all or nothing effort when it pops up (which is the goal?). There needs to be more structure instead of being like an angry unpredictable parent. All of a sudden you get yelled at for doing something you and everyone else has been doing all along just because their manager's manager's manager decided people were gonna get fired this month for I don't know.....not hitting the bar on registering people for rewards cards or something.

Advice to Management

See above. My advice is plain and simple. You want to run a good company? You want your company, franchise, cafe, whatever to hit its full potential? Then fix the core. It's something as simple as treating your people with more respect. Communication is always key. Communicate all the way down to the little guy; that 17 year old cashier. Tell them why things are done the way they are; what the long term goals are. When someone has a reason for what they do, they'll be more proud to come to work and everything else will fall into place. Benefit options don't hurt either. As a Catering Coordinator, my role in the cafe, was a pretty decent sized one. The sales generated alone from this position have the ability to make or break profits, even send them soaring. It's hard enough to find someone to work this position really well, why not offer them insurance. I had to get individual plans for health, dental and vision and let me tell you, it's not pretty. It was almost 1/2 my paycheck (premiums combined with regular visits and prescription costs) which prompted me to look elsewhere. Hopefully this review has some kind of influence.

Used and Abused

Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced work environment Discount on food Opportunity to learn different "modules"

Cons

Unreliable co-workers. They call in, and if you know how to do their job, management will ask you to do double duty. Dirty (depending on store) Stingy when it comes to paying their employees Horrible "training" program. Once you have your three modules, management basically forgets about you.

Advice to Management

For your employees who want to learn, let them learn! Train them properly, and pay them accordingly.