There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread

Pretty good place to work if in school or elderly. Great coworkers in a good work environment.

Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Waltham, MA

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Great food with ok discount
Great co-workers
Young work atmosphere
Young bottom level management
Great for high school / college students
Free Bread & Pastries
Low stress work environment
Awesome customers
OK pay for work expect

Cons

Closing shifts can be daunting.
Inexperienced managers at times add a lot of stress to what should be a simple job.
Respect between employees could be better.
They are pretty stingy with wages.
Experience can differ from corporate stores and between different franchises.

Advice to Management

Since each franchise has some leeway as to how they manage the store, experience can differ. Try to encourage your better employees to seek management positions. Try to weed out the kids who lack any work ethic whatsoever. They make the job much harder on the other associates.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great for full time students

Current Employee - Customer Associate in Oakland, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Associate in Oakland, PA

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

This company really tries to strike a good balance between personal and public life. I was a student and they were excellent at giving me time off with little notice. I was able to work at my own pace and was pretty satisfied with the way I was treated.

Cons

Most of the downsides to Panera were not the company's fault, but that of the customers. However, I did have a manager that begrudged the part time employees the time off given and made us stay for several hours after close.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the employees and interact with the part-time employees more often. If we feel like we are being ignored, our work and productivity will be worse.

Like any job, it has its positives and negatives. Stick up for yourself.

Current Employee - Baker
    Current Employee - Baker

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

Pay is not bad, you can work at your own pace as long as you're done on time. Great job if you're a night owl.

Cons

This applies only to the Iowa franchise: The benefits are very minimal. However, if you apply to a company store, your options as far as benefits are much better.

As far as the whole company, communication from the top to all the stores could be a lot better, especially with new product roll-outs.

Bakers and the rest of crew need to cooperate better with each other

Advice to Management

Work on communication to the front lines, especially with procedures. Don't just criticize your workers during calibrations, offer positive feedback as well. Also, find a way to simplify things a little more. Cut out all the fancy abbreviations and just call a spade a spade.