Panera Bread

There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread

Great Company, Understaffed

Former Employee - Production Line in Newport, RI
Former Employee - Production Line in Newport, RI

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hard working co-workers and flexible hours. Amazing cleanliness with a true commitment towards satisfying their customers. Thorough training process

Cons

Terrible management who hated their jobs. Every shift i felt we were understaffed, with most times managers cutting employees shifts even if it meant placing a unfair work load on another employee. Overworked their employees for the wage a associate was paid.

1391 Other Employee Reviews for Panera Bread (View Most Recent)

rewarding customer service oriented career

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time

Pros

great food, respectful customers, great employees

Cons

early morning openings and inability to get some things done in a timely fashion

Not something I'd like to do again

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The "corporate culture" seems very positive. The ideas of being green, and the ideals that they say they expect stores to live by.

Cons

Upper management doesn't do what the corporate culture dictates. One of the cultural values is "No Jerks," but most upper management treats associates and lower level managers like they are nothing. Every year a "Warmth Survey" is completed by all managers and employees, and even though it's supposed to be anonymous, the managers all guess what is said by employees and treat them terribly based on their feedback if they don't like what's said. I'm sure that's happening at higher levels as well. Disagreement is not tolerated. New ideas are not tolerated. It's a stifling environment to work in.

If the corporate culture is "No Jerks," it is past time to reevaluate who is working in upper management positions (such as district manager and above). In the last few years, it has only gotten worse and worse- each person they bring in to do the job is worse than the last. There is no acceptable way to address a concern when your general manager and your district manager are best friends. Also, figure out anew formula for whether or not "labor costs" are acceptable. It got to the point where it was nearly impossible to run acceptable labor without sacrificing customer service. Oh, I could go on and on, but I'm trying not to dwell on the past anymore...

There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread