Panera Bread

There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread

One year into the Assistant Manager position

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great food, great benefits, better than working at most restaurants.

Cons

Low pay, slow growth opportunities. There seems to be a focus shift from line level employees being most important to executive leadership being a priority. Panera is going through some growing pains as they move from having a small company feel to becoming a large corporate entity. There is a severe shortage of managers in the Chicago market...ever wonder why?

Hire more quickly, invest in your current talent. People make Panera what it is, don't lose sight of that as you continue to quickly grow.

1479 Other Employee Reviews for Panera Bread (View Most Recent)

Corporate is definitely in control!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with, even with their HS/college kid drama. The overall work atmosphere is comfortable and the managers I worked with were very supportive and encouraging. Plus, the customers really are fantastic!

Cons

The training is extremely corporate and some of it is flat out useless at the store level. But if you'll pay me for three days sitting in a conference room being bored, I guess I'll show up. The same goes for new menu items - it is very obvious that the people at corporate who make the decision to add odd items to the menu (pasta, shrimp...?!) have not worked behind the counter in a very, very long time if ever. Its frustrating to deal with, especially as a manager who is supposed to be positive and uplifting.

There is little value put on your life outside of work. Unless you have a great management team and GM in your current cafe you'll be fighting for decent hours. I've worked in 4 cafes in Denver - 2 had livable scheduling for the management team.

Don't expect many raises unless you plan on becoming an Associate Trainer

Former Employee - Associate in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Associate in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun people to work with. Good hours upon request.

Cons

Low pay. Physical work. Depending on where you work, the customers can be unpleasant at times.

Reward your employees through raises.

There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread