There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread

Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Fast Growing Company, Great job for High School Kids

Cons

Very one sided...It's all about making money. Team members work very hard and are not valued. A lot of favoritism goes on within top leadership!

Inspect what you expect. Playing favoritism will hurt you. Pay your team members for all hours worked!!!

1305 Other Employee Reviews for Panera Bread (View Most Recent)

Would still be there if not for a few problems...

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Product is great, customers on the whole are great, so are staff and management. It can be hard work but if you don't like being bored (like me) that's great. I definitely believe Panera is a good company with a good mission and business plan, so even when the work got tough I generally felt pretty good about working there.

Cons

Can be very grueling, especially when understaffed, but then that's the restaurant business. Company policy dictates that, once you get to the management level, you complete a relatively large amount of daily paper work, all of which required completely other tasks first, which was fine on days when there was another manager working with you, and/or it was slow, and not so fine when you were trying to run a register and make sandwiches simultaneously for most of the shift. Eventually left due to district management making my life more difficult than it needed to be, bringing in a new micromanaging GM, transferring good managers elsewhere, and just generally making changes that weren't necessary. I understand in retail this is fairly common - the idea is to "shake things up" and keep people from getting complacent, but personally I don't understand the point when a team is already working well together.

The day to day in the cafes is unstable enough as it is. Associates come and go all the time already. District and regional management should consider that shuffling managers around and changing the expectations when you take over control of a store is not the best way to make people feel stable in their workplace and want to remain with the company.

Do not work at Panera

Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Livonia, MI

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

The company donates leftover baked goods to local organizations

Cons

The favoritism present in the store is ridiculous. There is a gross inequality in terms of distribution of hours. Associates who are equal in their work abilities are not treated the same. The place is also full of drama. If it isn't associates who talk about one another, it's the management. Also some of the associates have become quite greedy and will trample on anyone just so they get what they feel like they deserve.

Make the policies and standards at Panera consistent with each other. There are many procedures that contradict each other. Also, treat your associates more fairly.

There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread