There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread

Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Fast Growing Company, Great job for High School Kids

Cons

Very one sided...It's all about making money. Team members work very hard and are not valued. A lot of favoritism goes on within top leadership!

Advice to Management

Inspect what you expect. Playing favoritism will hurt you. Pay your team members for all hours worked!!!

reviews filtered by

Panera associate/ untrained trainer.

Former Employee - Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Great attention is paid to customer service; good employee recognition for accomplishments. Because of how busy my store was, my shifts went by very quickly.

Cons

Very hard work for little pay; disorganization within management. I was offered several chances for promotions, but my manager never gave me the information to get trained. Instead, my manager informed me that I was training new associates when they arrived to work.

Advice to Management

When employees are promoted, they should be given pay raises. With extra responsibilities, there should be financial benefits.

2. Would still be there if not for a few problems...

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Product is great, customers on the whole are great, so are staff and management. It can be hard work but if you don't like being bored (like me) that's great. I definitely believe Panera is a good company with a good mission and business plan, so even when the work got tough I generally felt pretty good about working there.

Cons

Can be very grueling, especially when understaffed, but then that's the restaurant business. Company policy dictates that, once you get to the management level, you complete a relatively large amount of daily paper work, all of which required completely other tasks first, which was fine on days when there was another manager working with you, and/or it was slow, and not so fine when you were trying to run a register and make sandwiches simultaneously for most of the shift. Eventually left due to district management making my life more difficult than it needed to be, bringing in a new micromanaging GM, transferring good managers elsewhere, and just generally making changes that weren't necessary. I understand in retail this is fairly common - the idea is to "shake things up" and keep people from getting complacent, but personally I don't understand the point when a team is already working well together.

Advice to Management

The day to day in the cafes is unstable enough as it is. Associates come and go all the time already. District and regional management should consider that shuffling managers around and changing the expectations when you take over control of a store is not the best way to make people feel stable in their workplace and want to remain with the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread