Panera Bread

Bad Upper Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Good Food, decent money. Not a bad place to work.

Cons

District Manager was horrible when I worked there, although I do believe he has been replaced by the owners. The hours are bad.

1557 Other Employee Reviews for Panera Bread (View Most Recent)

Panera is not the best place to work if you're looking for advancement.

Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Ormond Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Ormond Beach, FL

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

You get a fifty percnt discount on the food which is pretty nice. Other than that not many up sides.

Cons

There is no room or advancement, they never offer raises, they take advantage of their good employees by constantly asking them to work extra hours, but if you're sick and call out they give you a hard time.

Not too great

Overworked with very little attention given to personal needs/feelings

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grandview Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grandview Heights, OH

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

Most customers are pretty nice since it is a nice place to come to and has good food, so rarely have issues with dissatisfied people. Have competitive pay for entry-level.

Cons

The new company that bought out our area is awful. They took away pay raises for managers, took away a lot of benefits, and have implemented some unnecessary rules. Employees only get food discounts during shifts, breaks are grudgingly given even during long shifts, and food is never allowed to be taken after closing like the old company allowed. Also, the management in our specific shop pays very little attention to personal needs. They schedule however they want and if it's too many hours then that is too bad. Do not pay attention to availability, and when confronted do not make changes. Are very unwilling to allow employees to call off for personal reasons or for illness. I was told that even though I had the flu it was not a good reason to call off when I had been told when to come in. Also, management is obsessed with job descriptions, if you are supposed to work bakery and a customer is needing assistance elsewhere you aren't allowed to help them, you have to have someone else do it because you are not allowed to leave your station for any reason. Management hands out criticism freely, and often 'jokes' with employees but these jokes are not kind-hearted. Not understanding of others lives. Employees come and go a lot due to dissatisfaction.

Learn to listen to employees needs, focus less on how you look to the store owners and more about your employees as they are the ones doing the work that will be seen. If availability says that someone can only work a maximum of so many hours, do not exceed that amount because they mean that limit.

There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread