There are newer employer reviews for Papa John's

The corporation is amazing. Working for a franchise is subject to it's own set of ups and downs.

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Dayton, OH
Former Employee - Marketing Director in Dayton, OH

I worked at Papa John's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Backing by corporate and their support was wonderful. Very creative environment and passionate people.

Cons

The franchise I worked for was difficult and often did things poorly.

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to franchisees

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Unclean and unprofessional place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier in Eagle River, AK
    Former Employee - Cashier in Eagle River, AK

I worked at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The one thing I did like about working there was being allowed to make myself a pizza for free before I went home, and getting free pizza and soda during any down time (although this was NOT good for my waistline!).

Cons

Working at a Papa John's inside a Wal Mart in Alaska meant dealing with a lot of impatient customers who wanted to finish their grocery shopping. Also, money was stolen from the till during the week I was hired, so I was moved off of the cash register and put in the back to make pizza without having a food handler's card. I was told the other employees weren't under suspicion because they had "worked [there] for so long". I also wasn't allowed to take a clocked out lunch break because I didn't smoke like the manager and other employees.

Advice to Management

Possibly raise the standard for management within local stores and make sure health codes are being followed. Being 17 at the time, I wasn't aware preparing food without a food handler's card was illegal. I also noticed that even when someone would call in a food allergy, the other employees would not wash their cutlery between making pizzas.

Better Ingredients? Better get a second job!

Current Employee - Delivery Driver
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good tips if you live in an area with rich people.

Cons

They make you work multiple hours a week off the clock, which is incredibly illegal. Every week you have to "donate" an hour putting coupons on people's doors. The schedule says be there at 5pm, yet you may not clock in until 5:30 if there's no delivery ready... In the mean time you are expected to do "side work" like dishes or box folding, for free. The schedule may say you work until 9pm but prepare to be sent home at 8pm if things get slow. They only give you ~20hrs a week because they don't want full-time employees, this is because it would increase the cost of pizza by $0.13 due to "obamacare". So they keep you part time to save $0.13 a pizza, meanwhile I can't pay rent without more hours. They contradict themselves.. They tell you do "x" and then when you do "x" they yell at you and tell you not to do "x". For example I was waiting by the oven I saw my order was coming out in 1-2 minutes. They yelled at me not to stand around by the oven, and go do dishes. So I smiled and went & did dishes.. Then I got yelled at for being in the back doing dishes when the order was ready.

Advice to Management

Stop making your employees work "off the clock" its illegal, and the few dollars you save is not worth the disdain for the customers it fosters