Paper Source

www.paper-source.com

Gorgeous store run on the backs of poorly paid creatives

Key Holder (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsThis store is beautiful and carries great papers (obviously), along with gifts, crafting supplies, ribbon, calendars, etc. Employees get a nice discount - 30% - and are allowed to audit the workshops. Additionally, the company encourages daily crafting. During shifts, this is called a "Creative Sip". One of my favorite things at this job is connecting with customers and helping to empower them in their DIY projects.

ConsThe constant barrage of "sell sell sell!" gets to feel like a burden. There is a steady stream of "coaching" and turning every customer into a sale that is both exhausting and incongruous to the company self-image. Couple that pressure with the tiny salaries, and you get a lot of unhappy workers. Over the years, the company has stripped away opportunities for additional compensation, too. Once, employees who ran workshops and who sold custom print were compensated differently for it. Now, there is little or no training and compensation is their already barely-above-minimum-wage rate. In the long battle to appease investors, the company continues to cut away at employees - bare-bones staffing, restricted hours, pressure to meet responsibilities but no training or time allotted to do so. This is in contrast to the "Nordstrom's of Paper" image that they are striving to build. I guess they are, just on the backs of poorly paid employees who churn in and out of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some real gems in the stores who are worth keeping. Pay them what they are worth and encourage the managers to retain good people. Make "bringing up good new talent" a worthwhile pursuit for managers. Pay people appropriately for running workshops and give stores enough hours to make their places shine.

"Do something creative every day" going down hill

CSA (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paper Source part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Friendly and talented coworkers at most stores Cons: What used to be a unique fine paper/stationer turn into a glorified gift store. This company used to promote creativity but it's going down hill.… Advice to Senior Management: Corporate management: consider yourself lucky that your store managers are salaried! Most store managers slave over to complete task on hand. The amount of work… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great job if you like to craft & help others craft

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Paper Source part-time for less than a year

Pros: Ability to help others achieve their craft project goals Recognition of good work Good pay for… Cons: Currently non - if you like to craft and work… Advice to Senior Management: Promote people who are a little more passionate about the crafting industry. Just starting out, some of the training has been done by individuals who… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Paper Source.

Worked for Paper Source? Contribute to the Community!