Great Place to Work for Creative Types

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Paper Source part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Encourages employees to explore their own creativity -Regularly employee outings -Encourages employees to learn new things/skills

Cons

-No longer pays more for facilitating workshops -Regularly employee reviews were redundant -Lots of standing around sometimes

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Don't let the "couture kitsch" vibe fool you!

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Merrifield, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Merrifield, VA

I worked at Paper Source part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount Lots of hours available if you're looking for entry-level work

Cons

Low pay Training is haphazard, if it happens at all Employees' stated availability will be disregarded--they WILL ask you to work hours you've said you can't work Regional management knows little to nothing about day-to-day operations Upper management and tech support are difficult-to-impossible to reach in a crisis

Advice to Management

If you want to retain talented, hardworking people, RESPECT the availability schedule they've given you; PAY your employees a living wage commensurate with the cost of living in the store's location; TRAIN staff as soon as they're hired; and MAKE YOURSELF AVAILABLE when a store needs assistance, guidance, or support with an issue.

ABSURD....

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Paper Source full-time

Pros

30% Discount Beautiful products Nice, newly built out store

Cons

-Antiquated Computer systems w/ haphazard tech support from corporate. -POS closing procedure was a joke...the archaic system took 35 minutes to close down at each night. -Inventory replenishment flow from corporate was spotty and disorganized. -My staff was ill-chosen by a disconnected, hysteric/OCD/bi-polar Regional Sales Manager -Staffing hour allotments from corporate provided inadequate staffing for my high volume, high traffic store. -Store manager is given a ridiculous amount of weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports to generate which removed me from my floor, staff and customers. What was the point of it? To this day I still do not understand the benefit of it or purpose. -Meeting and exceeding sales quotas, host of the party sales floor management, praising/correcting in the moment, perfect shipment processing and behind the scenes inventory management, perfect floor replenishing, constant demos ongoing throughout the day, winning corporate sponsored inter-store contests, perfect attendance, 50 hours per week plus cleaning the bathrooms and washing the floors all for only $45k a year....and not one Thank you or ounce of praise from the regional manager....RUN, RUN, RUN.... -I wouldn't wish the title of : Store Manager for Paper Source on my very worst enemy.

Advice to Management

-Invest in appropriate computer technology, inventory systems, and simplify the closing procedures. -The SM and ASM are 40 hours per week, add a 40 hour per week key holder, then a 30 hour per week key holder and guarantee part time staff 20 hours per week minimum. Do you really think a part timer given 6 hours a week is going to care to learn the custom print program? -Stop the over complicated window displays. Do you realize that creating some of those displays would take 40-60 hours to craft and install? -Regional Managers should have the intelligence, kindness, thoughtfulness, business acumen and humanity of the CEO. The only thank you or words of encouragement I received was from Sally Pfocher-CEO Paper Source on the 2 occasions she visited my store.