There are newer employer reviews for Paramount Pictures

Great place to work if you don't mind the "Boys club" mentality

Former Employee - Programmer  in  Hollywood, CA
Former Employee - Programmer in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Paramount Pictures

Pros

A lot of fun, great shopping, previews of great movies, star gazing (if you are into that)

Cons

Very much still a good ol' boys club mentality, I would hear male managers talking very nastily to female VP's and Managers constantly, very belittling. Ideas proposed by female staff members were vetted by make employees before being approved. My first week, I was told I would get used to it ofr leave.

Get over it, yes you have females in positions now, but start treating them like they have brains, and are as talented as you are, get the old boys club out of there, and bring in new blood.

115 Other Employee Reviews for Paramount Pictures (View Most Recent)

Paramount pictures good first job; probably not the best long term.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Paramount Pictures

Pros

You are in the industry at one of the larger movie studios in the business. Everything is located in one central area on the lot. Although the bulidings and lot may be a bit old, it's because all the money is spent on production.
    There were a lot of smart people in my group that had come to entertainment after working in other high exposure jobs. They were very nice, approachable and easy to talk to (an abberation from your typical industry person). Additionally, its located near a lot of food like west hollywood, koreatown, downtown. Also, you get a lot of free stuff and awesome holiday parties.

Cons

Salary - Paramount typically paid lower than average salaries, however, i believe that has been changed since i left. Nonetheless, we worked long hours on salary and were never properly compensated for it other than ordering dinner. In this economic and job anemic environment, maybe you can do that, but back when i was there and the grass was still green, it was a pain to deal with.
    Financially, paramount, maybe this is systematic to the entire industry, but was a struggling company. With revenues not as large as before and large conglomerates trying to shed wasteful investments, you can be rest assured they're going to start cutting at the studios.

I understand the fact that you need to value the talent much more than everyone else, but come on, everyone does a lot of work. Share the wealth. The pay at the senior level is probably very good, but it's a shame that the junior people get paid fairly poorly in regards to the hours they put in. There are probably a lot of financial instruments and risk hedges we can enable that would help paramount achieve higher ROIs on its movies. We need more real finance people in the studios working those deals. We need to pay well to get them.

Paramount has its perks, but is it worth it?

Current Employee - Manager  in  Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Paramount Pictures

Pros

The name is by far the most appealing aspect of working at Paramount Pictures. There's a certain sexiness quotient to saying you work at a major Hollywood studio, and we have turned out some terrific movies in the past couple years. We are also entitled to some great perks such as DVD discounts not just for Paramount and Dreamworks movies, but all DVD's released under the Viacom umbrella, which includes Comedy Central, Nick, MTV, etc. The Paramount lot is a fantastic place to work too, as you get to visit some truly historical areas and sound stages. Running into the occasional movie or TV star doesn't hurt either.

Cons

You have to deal with some tremendous egos, and there are different sets of rules for different people depending on who you report to, which department you're in, and how far things get escalated. While this holds true for probabaly 99% of the companies out there, the problem seems amplified at Paramount. Work too often is reprioritized depending on who's complaining the loudest. If you like a lot of structure and sameness, this is not the place for you.

Additionally, not much is done in the way of promoting or encouraging work-life balance and there is no formal program that allows for a flex schedule of any type.

Do more to encourage work-life balance. Paramount is definitely decades behind the curve on this one. The benefits are proven, and you'll have happier employees who want to work hard for you.

There are newer employer reviews for Paramount Pictures

Worked for Paramount Pictures? Contribute to the Community!