Paramount Pictures

www.paramount.com
  www.paramount.com
There are newer employer reviews for Paramount Pictures

Great place to work if you don't mind the "Boys club" mentality

Former Employee - Programmer in Hollywood, CA
Former Employee - Programmer in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Paramount Pictures

Pros

A lot of fun, great shopping, previews of great movies, star gazing (if you are into that)

Cons

Very much still a good ol' boys club mentality, I would hear male managers talking very nastily to female VP's and Managers constantly, very belittling. Ideas proposed by female staff members were vetted by make employees before being approved. My first week, I was told I would get used to it ofr leave.

Get over it, yes you have females in positions now, but start treating them like they have brains, and are as talented as you are, get the old boys club out of there, and bring in new blood.

126 Other Employee Reviews for Paramount Pictures (View Most Recent)

Paramount pictures good first job; probably not the best long term.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Paramount Pictures

Pros

You are in the industry at one of the larger movie studios in the business. Everything is located in one central area on the lot. Although the bulidings and lot may be a bit old, it's because all the money is spent on production.
    There were a lot of smart people in my group that had come to entertainment after working in other high exposure jobs. They were very nice, approachable and easy to talk to (an abberation from your typical industry person). Additionally, its located near a lot of food like west hollywood, koreatown, downtown. Also, you get a lot of free stuff and awesome holiday parties.

Cons

Salary - Paramount typically paid lower than average salaries, however, i believe that has been changed since i left. Nonetheless, we worked long hours on salary and were never properly compensated for it other than ordering dinner. In this economic and job anemic environment, maybe you can do that, but back when i was there and the grass was still green, it was a pain to deal with.
    Financially, paramount, maybe this is systematic to the entire industry, but was a struggling company. With revenues not as large as before and large conglomerates trying to shed wasteful investments, you can be rest assured they're going to start cutting at the studios.

I understand the fact that you need to value the talent much more than everyone else, but come on, everyone does a lot of work. Share the wealth. The pay at the senior level is probably very good, but it's a shame that the junior people get paid fairly poorly in regards to the hours they put in. There are probably a lot of financial instruments and risk hedges we can enable that would help paramount achieve higher ROIs on its movies. We need more real finance people in the studios working those deals. We need to pay well to get them.

It's as the other reviews say: Politics & Deaf Ears of Management Abound

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Paramount Pictures

Pros

Corporate benefits (if your workload allows you to take advantage of them), scenery (movie stars, events on lot, NY backlot)

Cons

Management "willing to listen" but unwilling to take action/make changes, unbalanced workload, blatant and prevalent disregard for work-life balance, retention of unqualified employees

Like my vice president says (although s/he doesn't listen to his/her own speech): own your responsibilities and be proactive & willing to take action to resolve the issue at hand. It's blatant that the "legs" of the Company are burned out, neglected, and overall treated poorly. Please try to look beyond your own political career in the Company and try to set an example for your People. We'd be more productive and loyal if you, our leaders the top 20% of the workforce and in charge of the Company, would be able to actually listen to the lowliest staff/senior and do something that would encourage a better work environment. Anyone in between - from Director or Vice President-level and up - are looking out for themselves first before they even consider their "team." We're just fodder to be burned/used by them.

There are newer employer reviews for Paramount Pictures