Parsons Brinckerhoff

www.pbworld.com

A great company to work for, it just depends on the field office

Former Employee - Project Controls Administrator  in  Columbia, SC
Former Employee - Project Controls Administrator in Columbia, SC

Pros

The office environment was very friendly when I was there from 2000-2004. I started as a temp who knew nothing about construction and engineering but I learned a lot from my colleagues. I was laid off but it was done in such a professional manner that I wasn't upset because it was explained to me at the begiining of my employment how these projects work. I still have a relationship with the office. Several executives actually helped me get accepted to graduate school with their recommendations even though I was going into a totally different field.

Cons

The only downside was that the location of this office being in Columbia, SC was mainly limited to engineering and construction occupations. Any other departments really required a move to corporate headquarters. When a project ends you have to find another position which requires moving. I was unable to find another comparable position within in company so I had to look elsewhere. They paid a very good salary which few companies in the surrounding area could match.

None

Other reviews for Parsons Brinckerhoff

Great communication, leadership, enjoy the people.

Former Employee - Director  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

Pros

Leadership make a difference. Several times a year senior management is on hand and available. They speak with the staff and cover the areas that are needed at the time. Gosspi and politics are kept to a minimum. Great communication by on site management. Work life and family life are very well balanced.

Cons

HR suport is occassionally weak. Health benefits/claims should have some intervention by the company.

none. keep up the great work.

Good springboard and learning opportunity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

* Strong emphasis on work-life balance -- relatively flexible hours, ability to telecommute, and strong support for lifetime milestones, such as marriage (but not maternity or paternity leave).
    * Varied and interesting projects, with many opportunities to travel. No silver platters here, though -- to get the best assignments, be very prepared to work hard to get them.
    * Uncanny ability to attract very bright and energetic individuals at lower levels.

Cons

* In general, personality and good office-political sense will get you ahead, rather than merit or technical skill. This can be particularly frustrating at an engineering firm, where one would imagine technical skill should be more richly rewarded.
    * As successful as the firm is in recruting junior staff, it has tremendous difficulty recruiting qualified persons at higher levels. Personality conflicts between senior management and employees are very common.
    * Unimpressive benefits package, relative to industry standard.
    * In short, if like to take initiative and your strengths are in your creativity and techncial skill, you may find more rewards elsewhere. If you seek a good work-life balance and don't mind going on auto-pilot for a while, then PB may be worth a look.

Firm currently has difficulties in maintaining client loyalty and satisfication -- more emphasis / reward for high technical skill and quality work would be welcome by many staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Parsons Brinckerhoff.

Worked for Parsons Brinckerhoff? Contribute to the Community!