There are newer employer reviews for Parsons Brinckerhoff

good

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff for less than a year

Pros

great pay, flexible hrs, great environment

Cons

contibute more to the staff beneath

help out

188 Other Employee Reviews for Parsons Brinckerhoff (View Most Recent)

Terrible Management

Current Employee - Graduate/Assistant Engineer  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Graduate/Assistant Engineer in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working spirit among the engineers. Good support from the Admin Department.

Cons

The training department is far from supportive, too mean and talk down to AEs which are the reason why the Company is earning money as no employees are paid for our heavily over-time working hours. Poor management in some divisions, they say listen and do surveys but they do nothing to change things. Keep losing valuable personnel to other competitors and don't seem to bother with it. Hire too many graduate engineers and spend too much resource on training but do little to keep them. That;s local management logic for you.

Get the big guys from NY and shake up the structure from head to bottom, sack the managers who don't perform and keep losing stuff cos they don't care enough of our happiness.

Great company, plenty of opportunities if you’re willing to take the initiative

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

With a strong presence in Australia PB wins its fair share of the major projects. As such there are plenty of great opportunities for young engineers to learn on major projects and quickly advance their skill set. Generally staff a looked after very well, whether it be little things like free fruit in the office, decent coffee machines and beers at the office every Fridays to the more important things like professional development and training opportunities.

I’ve been here the last 6 years and can’t fault the career development opportunities that have been made available too me. It does however require that you take the initiative as the saying “ don’t ask and you won’t get” is very true at PB, but when I have asked for training or to attend a conference very rarely have I been knocked back. I have also had plenty of opportunities to travel overseas for work which is great.

The all the major Australian offices (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane) are in greats CBD locations and there are reasonable facilities for people who ride to work (lockers, showers, bike storage etc.).

Cons

PB has most of the same problems that all major engineering consultancies have: excessive bureaucracy, top heavy structure, regular restructuring, a lack of opportunities for mid-level technical staff, incompetent HR department, numerous IT systems that are poorly designed and implemented (MarkView, GMS, RAMPP etc) . I have worked at a couple of major engineering firms and they have the similar issues, overall PB is not doing it any worse than the competition.

PB has a disproportionately high number of low achievers who just seem to plod along. Although this can be frustrating for those who put the effort, it does have the up side of PB being an easy environment to impress people in. If your half decent and put in the hard work when its needed you will be noticed, however that may or may not lead to advancement within the company.

The level of competency within the pool of project managers is pretty low. There are some great PMs at PB but these are the exception not the rule. As such cost control is pretty lax and write downs on projects far too common. PB could be a more profitable business if more attention was paid to cost control and efficiency.

Stability within the management team and growth of the business should be the focus. The constant restructuring has the workforce jittery. Please may the latest restructure produce a structure that works and that the management are happy with. A few years ago PB had the feeling of being a very safe company to work for. A company that would exhaust all avenues before having to lose good people. This is no longer the case and people are starting to realise that. A lot of good people have moved on and the useless ones have stayed.

There are newer employer reviews for Parsons Brinckerhoff

Worked for Parsons Brinckerhoff? Contribute to the Community!