Parsons Corporation

www.parsons.com
  www.parsons.com
There are newer employer reviews for Parsons Corporation

A company that prides itself on teamwork, safety and integrity

I have been working at Parsons Corporation

Pros

9/80 schedule and ESOP plan are phenomenal

Cons

Very Large company easy to get lost in.

221 Other Employee Reviews for Parsons Corporation (View Most Recent)

Disorganized Chaos in motion

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Aiken, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Aiken, SC

I have been working at Parsons Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Engineering support team was excellent. They understood what the engineers needed and worked hard to make sure that it was available.

Cons

Completely dysfunctional organization. Lack of cooperative spirit between design disciplines. Active antagonism from some leads to passive-aggressive behavior from discipline engineers. All due to a failure of upper management to be actively involved and in touch with employees. For two years the engineering manager walked by my desk every morning and greeted me by the wrong name even though my name plate was just above my head. Management failed to take the lead in understanding where the design was at and where it was going. Immediate manager checked out frequently to work from home. He had lost the fire to be actively involved.

Upper level managers need to greet and get to know employees at all levels. This will require that you quit surfing the internet long enough to get out of your office and walk around work areas.
    Cut deadwood lower managers that have stopped contributing. Don't jump chain of command to preference one lower level manager over another. The hierarchy of the management chain must be strictly followed. Realize that as you move up in the management hierarchy that you need to back away from controlling the small details but that you must hold accountable the managers that are controlling the design process. Find opportunities to praise the work of individual employees in front of their peers.

Avoid this disorganized mess of a company at all costs

Former Employee - Contract Administrator
    Former Employee - Contract Administrator

I worked at Parsons Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There were a few nice people who worked there, and it provided a paycheck. There were benefits packages available, albeit they were very whittled down in scope and costly.

Cons

The corporate management does not seem to disseminate information to the various offices in any organized fashion so while a regional office is out recruiting additional staff and talking the company up, the corporate office is busily undoing everything and planning corporate lay offs. What a disorganized mess!

I've never been treated as badly as I was at this company. They aren't honest. I was told the position was open because the prior position holder became sick and was unable to work. She actually left to work for another company. It is short-sighted for management to lie about something so basic. Once an employee gets settled in, the truth comes out and people don't like finding out they have been deceived.

The boss indicted that she like to provide her staff projects and let them run with them, when in actuality she was the quintessential micro manager; I wasn't trusted to do anything alone. It was degrading, humiliating, and discouraging. After a few months, it was hard to get out of bed to go there because I was daily treated like a first grader.

My boss also insisted that she needed me to begin work a few weeks before Christmas, to which I reluctantly agreed, though I would have like to start at the beginning of the year. In actuality, she really just wanted someone else's contact information to put on her "out of office" notice on Outlook so she could take vacation and make herself look good. Never mind that I had only been there a couple weeks and could barely help myself, let alone anyone that contacted me due to out of office notice.

& technology...forget about it. The network is always down & you have limited communication capabilities daily. It was so frustrating. For hours at a time the system would be down. & shold you choose to work here, brace yourself to be a human database. There are no databases used - you will be manually writing & re-writing the same information over and over on various required & extensive reports weekly, monthly, quarterly. It's ridiculous and so time consuming. There are a million more productive things that could be done with the time.

& they have let so many people go over the years. There are offices and offices of files that have just been abandoned in various stages. Be aware that you will be expected to someone status all the mess as a result of their prior lay offs. And brace your self. There will be more layoffs. There is no real long term plan and layoffs appear to be inevitable.

By far the strangest work experience I've had in a 25 year career.

Be honest with recruits. Tell them why the position is really available & tell them that there are significant challenges with systems and extreme disorganization.

There are newer employer reviews for Parsons Corporation