Do not walk away....RUN

Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Party City

Pros

The customers are generally happy due to the fact they are planning for a party. If you like Halloween you are in the correct place.

Cons

Manager get no respect. Employees tell you how to do your job even if you do it better and more efficient than they do. DM is clueless. Your word is nothing. I have never lied or cheated a company that I have worked for. But you are questioned by a outside loss prevention company every time an employee steals money or merchandise. Like we let them or even instructed them to do take the company property. I had one that actually asked me "you mean to tell me you have never ate a piece of candy?""You know, as we all do when we pass down the aisle." So, if anything happens in your store, you take the heat. They give you no hours to get the job done. Now this is always an issue this all retail companies I will admit. But when they send out a plan for you to change an entire aisle, and it states in the plan that this will take "53 hour to complete", they literally give you 15 additional hours in the budget. The idea is that the store manager will stay over and work 7 days to get it done. And guess what, they are correct. I did it many, many times.

Advice to Management

It is hard to fill a cup that is already full as they say. They will not and do not listen. They think they have a perfect place.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

You can do better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Party City

Pros

Had good associates. If you are p/t or f/t(hourly)they will typically work around your schedule.Good stepping stone first job for customer service.

Cons

NO employee discount ( got taken away for alleged 'abuse'), Management not paid enough for the work required, no training store so people were taught to do things differently (and was not often by the book), can be transferred within 50 mile radius of store closest to your home(and most times it was done), DM definitely showed favoritism and only heard one side of most stories, overall VERY unprofessional environment.

Advice to Management

Be professional-you cannot reasonably expect to come into a store in a horrible mood yelling and screaming and expect 100% happy people and wonderful customer service. Also, before making life-changing decisions about employees, get the whole story! Last...there is a difference between CONstructive and DEstructive criticism-learn the difference!

2. making improvements to corporate environment

Former Employee - Human Resources in Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Party City

Pros

wants to be fun/ active fitness center monthly events balanced work/life developing more formal talent development procedures

Cons

just thrown into roles/ unclear expectations office parties can be dull and segregated no real feedback given no clear line of promotion/opportunities not that diverse

Advice to Management

every employee should be engaged in the HR changes and directives. upper management has to support that. also employees want feedback, direction, and clear growth paths. take more risks with the activities and culture creation as well.