Party City

There are newer employer reviews for Party City

Retail Roulette

Former Employee - Manager in Madison, WI
Former Employee - Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Party City full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Low volume
- May have a good experience. Flip a coin.

Cons

- Ridiculous expectations for pay given (Beware the promises of good pay/quality of life "compared to other retailers". You will remember this later if you think otherwise.) The weekly tome of notes from HQ is a prime example of people coming up with things for you to do to justify their own employment...and it is a TOME. At Halloween have fun printing all of nearly 200 pages to read and execute "immediately".
- Micromanaged to death from the top down
- Pennies pinched so tight they bend
- Low paid (and I mean uncompetitively low) 90% PT staff expected to be "perfect" thus high turnover. Check the net and see who is always hiring. Low loyalty due to low engagement caused by upper-mgnt's lack of invovlement of operations at store level.

Your field managers (read: DMs) have entirely too much freedom and many are running their district like their own personal kingdom, putting on a show when you decide to visit your one time a year. No one is *really* paying attention to what they are doing in the field... And these are just my observations for you to regard or ignore. I actually left on good terms so I don't care either way.

396 Other Employee Reviews for Party City (View Most Recent)

Has it's good and bad qualities

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Party City full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of seasonal changes to give you variety in the work. Stays busy all the time. Overall it's a very easy job.

Cons

Don't get much chance to get promoted. Very little if any development. Pay is below average. There is very little opportunity to manage anything outside of the Halloween season, mostly you are doing most of the work yourself ie. stocking, cashiering, zoning, etc.

If you wonder why you have no bench of people to fill open positions, take a look at the lack of development going on in the company. If you don't allocate resources to it, it won't happen.

A time I look back on fondly.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS

I worked at Party City part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had an enjoyable time working at Party City. It is an easy job especially while attending school (I worked there a few years in High School. It the time it was a fun working environment and I thoroughly enjoyed the people I worked with, many of whom I still stay in contact with many, many years later. There was always something to do even if it was just menial tasks. Many conversations still start out with "when I worked at Party City..."

Cons

At the time I'm sure I didn't think it was all that great, but looking back on it there weren't that many cons to the experience for someone in their teens. The downfalls I can think of now is the lack of clear structure from management. And the lack of growth. But considering I was still in High School I can understand why.

There are newer employer reviews for Party City