There are newer employer reviews for Party City

Kind of fun, yet bad management.

I worked at Party City

Pros

30% discount
Party store
Interactive environment

Cons

I was currently in Highschool and they were keeping me til 2 in the morning on week nights.
Only minimum pay
Extremely overwhelming season work

Get better management
Be considerate
Work on organization

360 Other Employee Reviews for Party City (View Most Recent)

A fun weekend job, but boring and not dependable.

I worked at Party City

Pros

Great employee discount, fun atmosphere, fair pay, reasonable operating hours, fairly laid back about appearance (they allow some piercings and tattoos, uniform is simple)

Cons

(In my experience) I only worked a few hours per week, and although I was hired as seasonal, I was told I would be kept for full time and then very suddenly they changed their minds. It was also very monotonous, as there is generally not heavy customer traffic so most of your day is spent restocking or "straightening".

Try to add more full-time positions, and communicate better with employees.

It's no Party.

Former Employee - Online Merchandiser in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Online Merchandiser in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Party City full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a job. Occasionally they buy some really cheap pizza for the office.

Cons

The systems don't match the processes they have (which are constantly changing and sometimes don't work.) They don't offer any real training, but will plunk you in an office with one of a few random employees who kinda-sorta go over the information with you. In general if you are a pretty girl you will get more attention from the guys in management. Merchandising Department has one of those typical sad, mean and just plain terrible office manager lady types with a nasty attitude. She literally mocked and commented on the eating habits of employees who no longer worked for her. After having experienced her awful management it became clear why no one would stay in the Merch department. She would talk around the employees, avoid eye contact , demean and attack for simple mistakes, use intimidation tactics to try and control her staff. They prefer young inexperienced girls so they can take advantage of them. They kept one girl on as a temp for almost a year making $12 an hour as an OM. When they finally hired her (after three other people quit) they raised her pay to 15 hourly (Neither of which is actually a living wage, this is California) So if you are a young lady with not a lot of experience and live at home or with a few roommates this wage might work for you. No Christmas holiday parties. They do a "bake-off" and get the employees to cook each other food for the party held during office hours, in the office. Their holiday gift is purchasing a bunch of gift cards (Jiffy Lube, Target Safeway etc...) and making the employees perform silly games to win them. Expensive medical insurance that doesn't cover much. After utilizing mine I received numerous bills showing insurance only covered fractions of the bill and there is a 30 dollar copay for each visit. Middle of nowhere location in Pleasanton, CA surrounded by pretty much the
    worst places to eat you can think of.

Get a grip. Your selling balloons and ribbon and plastic keychains. Not curing cancer. Actually, not really doing anything good at all. Just filling landfills.

There are newer employer reviews for Party City