There are newer employer reviews for Party City

Party City does not care about their employees

Former Employee - Management
Former Employee - Management

I worked at Party City full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay and good benefits

Cons

More work than can be done. skeleton staffing. demoralizing managers. no training

Other Employee Reviews for Party City

Probably would be a better short time job than a long term career.

Current Employee - FT Team Lead
    Current Employee - FT Team Lead

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I moved up to management within a year of being employed with the company. Loved my coworkers when I first started and everybody wanted to help each other out. Ability to really help customers plan their events. Great discount on product.

Cons

High turn over rate. Expected to work just as hard as any of the other higher paid managers but with no compensation to match it. Expected to go to other stores to help with projects with little to no recognition or gratitude. No incentive to stay pay wise. Huge cut in payroll hours in recent years. Need to have open availability for management which is understandable but when you aren't getting paid enough to support only one job it is hard to like your job anymore. Some of the managers are more willing to gossip about how awful they think some of the employees are instead of properly training them so that they have the chance to succeed.. Expect new employees to work just as hard and with little to no errors with very little training. Corporate expects you to do the same thing at least twice if not more and does not provide extra hours for you to fix their mistake. Very little feedback requested from the store level. Corporate just blindly seems to throw out ideas without seeing if they really do work or not. There focus just seems so backwards and they are more worried about getting as much money from the business while having very dissastified employees.

Advice to Management

Have a better more effective training

2. Absolutely the worst company I have ever worked for!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Party City full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you can work in this type of environment you can make it anywhere....I promise!

Cons

Everything! Disorganized from the top down. Upper management are bullies and unprofessional. The district manager is motivated my malice and creates a bad morale within his district. This company is all about nepotism and cronyism! This store attracts some of the most rude, nasty and ignorant customers. They get off on peeing in the floor, smearing excrement on the walls, tearing up packages and messing the store up and stealing merchandise. Balloon Saturday's are ridiculous. I've never seen so many people get so serious over stupid balloons. Managers are expected to work 24/7 to get everything done especially since everyone is part time except for the store manager. Even the assistant managers can't go over 45. There is not a work life balance. You literally eat,_____ and ________ Party City. You will have nightmares about this place. If you finish a project you will have to redo it 5 times afterwards due to the "revised planograms". For the entire month of October the store will literally be on the floor. The customers are the nastiest I have ever witnessed. You don't even see customers like this in Wal Mart. You can work 24/7 and still always be behind which your immature DM will gladly and smugly let you know about. The DM for this district humiliates the store managers in front of customers and employees creating huge morale issues.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to be more involved with who is chosen to run the district. When you have managers resigning that have been with the company for 10 or more years there is a problem! Do not put immature individuals in positions of authority. You will never be able to retain decent people.