Party City
www.partycity.com Rockaway, NJ 5000+ Employees

Happy Employees = Happy Customers

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Party City part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCo-Workers, whether you like them or not, are your 2nd family. We at Party City can relate to one another because of the chaos that goes around in our stores. Flexible schedules are amazing, thanks to my store's management team. Annual raises.

ConsIf anyone has been working at Party City for less than 2 years, and is a newly hired cashier, or Halloween temp., their review does not matter since they haven't experienced the company enough. These are my views of working for Party City.

1.) Party City favors customers WAYYYYY more than their Employees 100%.

- One complaint to corporate leads to a chain of punishment calls and emails to District Mgt. down to GM's down to all associates. The complaint by customers usually comes from the hundreds of $$$ that corporate spends on graphics that promote Sales. Customers DONT READ. Customers constantly complain that they are right about prices ( For example: Buy 1 get 1 free cups). Once the Promotion is explained to the customer proving they are wrong. They get upset and to keep them happy, we are forced to give them the product at the price they THOUGHT was right.This results in Loss of $$ and a complaint still given to corporate. The mentality of some customers is sometimes questionable, but nevertheless we are still forced to make customers happy at the expense of OUR happiness.

2.) Party City expects too much from managers resulting in no time to train seasonal, and newly hired employees.

- Improper training results in poor performance and productivity. Training is sometimes provided by associates who 1. Don't know what they themselves are doing. 2. Don't even care . or 3. Provide no training at all. I myself am a training fanatic. I love to teach associates all about our company. Whether its in receiving, sales floor, or register, I will make sure the associate receives as much knowledge as possible to make our company great. However, I am only a sales associate. I do not receive the extra pay or bonuses for doing the extra work I take off managements hands. I am going to school for business management, so I am using Party City as practice since I don't see a future with this company; considering everything I am stating about it.

3.) There is little to NO recognition for excellent performance in this company.

- Rewarding and Recognizing great work is a source of Motivation. Since Party City is not fond of rewarding associates with Monetary bonuses, they should at least take the time and effort to keep their staff motivated through a different source of rewards. Motivation should be provided by managers, but if managers are not happy, how can employees be happy?? This is business management 101. I try to motivate my co-workers as much as possible to keep their spirits up. If an associate is in a good mood, they will want to interact with customers much more. If an associate is unhappy, well, I don't have to say much.. Look at Party City's Facebook page. FILLED with customer complaints about bad "customer service" Happy employees = Happy customers . Happy customers = More business . More business = More money . More Money = :) .

Advice to Senior Management1.) APPRECIATE your employees. 2.) SPEND the extra revenue on employees with great performance NOT on graphics which customers tag, spit gum on, and destroy/ don't pay attention to. 3.) Walk in our shoes.. experience memorizing sku's for 325465 types of candy and recovering Favors for at least 2 weeks.

I worked for the yaggie owned Minnesota franchise stores and it went from bad to worst to horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Party City

Pros: we were like a family untill the yaggies bought the stores,always fun good times we worked hard and were appreciated for it,it was nothing but… Cons: the yaggies(new paper LLC. ) bought the stores,then it went downhill,the employees that were kept on were pushed out slowly,even theres that were there a… Advice to Senior Management: all of cooperate need to work in a store for a month on a regular employees schedual and see how it is.and pull your heads… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Company operates differently than any other major retailer

General Manager (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than a year

Pros: December is available for PTO Cons: Halloween prep in August, with tremendous amount of hours and… Advice to Senior Management: skip this one No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Party City.

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Party City reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Party City CEO Jerry Rittenberg. All reviews posted anonymously by Party City employees.