Party City

www.partycity.com
  www.partycity.com
There are newer employer reviews for Party City

You can do much better but great if this is your first job.

I worked at Party City full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, weekends mostly off, 2 free drink tickets for the Holiday party

Cons

Poor management and company direction. There's always an excuse around review time how the company had another bad year and can not afford to give you more than a 1.5-2% increase again this year. High employee turnover but management doesn't seem to care because they will either have the others do more or find someone else eventually to come in at a cheaper salary than the person who left.

True story: After Halloween one year, the CEO sent out a voicemail to all employees letting them know what a good season we had (oddly enough, I still only received a 2% raise due to poor sales) and advised everyone to find an open bag of candy and enjoy a piece on the company. Kudos for your hard work!

Sounds ridiculous, right? There are many more stories like this and others that just leave you in amazement such as:

You can not work from home unless its after hours

State of Emergency due to snow; offices open and must use a vacation day if you can not make it in

Work on a problem until the AM hours or on weekends? Management is not able to give you comp time nor will go out of their way to let you leave early

It's not a fun place at all and actually, a very depressing company to work for.

Why bother? They don't listen anyway. But if you did, rotate the songs in your over played commercials because it's starting to get grating listening to Thriller every time they air. I used to like that song at one point.

399 Other Employee Reviews for Party City (View Most Recent)

An okay first job

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

halloween season- getting to dress up everyday and see people try on costumes

Cons

sparse hours
    low pay
    can get very boring

Happy Employees = Happy Customers

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Party City part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-Workers, whether you like them or not, are your 2nd family. We at Party City can relate to one another because of the chaos that goes around in our stores. Flexible schedules are amazing, thanks to my store's management team. Annual raises.

Cons

If anyone has been working at Party City for less than 2 years, and is a newly hired cashier, or Halloween temp., their review does not matter since they haven't experienced the company enough. These are my views of working for Party City.

1.) Party City favors customers WAYYYYY more than their Employees 100%.

- One complaint to corporate leads to a chain of punishment calls and emails to District Mgt. down to GM's down to all associates. The complaint by customers usually comes from the hundreds of $$$ that corporate spends on graphics that promote Sales. Customers DONT READ. Customers constantly complain that they are right about prices ( For example: Buy 1 get 1 free cups). Once the Promotion is explained to the customer proving they are wrong. They get upset and to keep them happy, we are forced to give them the product at the price they THOUGHT was right.This results in Loss of $$ and a complaint still given to corporate. The mentality of some customers is sometimes questionable, but nevertheless we are still forced to make customers happy at the expense of OUR happiness.

2.) Party City expects too much from managers resulting in no time to train seasonal, and newly hired employees.

- Improper training results in poor performance and productivity. Training is sometimes provided by associates who 1. Don't know what they themselves are doing. 2. Don't even care . or 3. Provide no training at all. I myself am a training fanatic. I love to teach associates all about our company. Whether its in receiving, sales floor, or register, I will make sure the associate receives as much knowledge as possible to make our company great. However, I am only a sales associate. I do not receive the extra pay or bonuses for doing the extra work I take off managements hands. I am going to school for business management, so I am using Party City as practice since I don't see a future with this company; considering everything I am stating about it.

3.) There is little to NO recognition for excellent performance in this company.

- Rewarding and Recognizing great work is a source of Motivation. Since Party City is not fond of rewarding associates with Monetary bonuses, they should at least take the time and effort to keep their staff motivated through a different source of rewards. Motivation should be provided by managers, but if managers are not happy, how can employees be happy?? This is business management 101. I try to motivate my co-workers as much as possible to keep their spirits up. If an associate is in a good mood, they will want to interact with customers much more. If an associate is unhappy, well, I don't have to say much.. Look at Party City's Facebook page. FILLED with customer complaints about bad "customer service" Happy employees = Happy customers . Happy customers = More business . More business = More money . More Money = :) .

1.) APPRECIATE your employees. 2.) SPEND the extra revenue on employees with great performance NOT on graphics which customers tag, spit gum on, and destroy/ don't pay attention to. 3.) Walk in our shoes.. experience memorizing sku's for 325465 types of candy and recovering Favors for at least 2 weeks.

There are newer employer reviews for Party City