There are newer employer reviews for Parx Casino

"Top profits on East Coast" to "The economy is bad and you are replaceable" in the same breath

Current Employee - Security Officer in Bensalem, PA
Current Employee - Security Officer in Bensalem, PA

I have been working at Parx Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Willing to hire unskilled workers and train them.

Many openings across different departments.

Unlikely to have the company go under in the near future.

Flexible scheduling allows for accommodating for school, other jobs, etc.

Cons

Raises are given inconsistently and blind to national inflation rates.

Department-level hierarchy makes department-level disputes into predetermined outcomes. (IE, the janitor is always at fault, and deserves to be treated poorly)

Administration is filled with "pseudo-professionals," that cannot divorce decisions related to their job from their personal feelings (Office Favoritism). This affects all levels of the administration and department relations.

Not much sense of "job security."

Price-gouging employees in company-provided dining area. Food sold to employees at heavy profit.

No pay differential for late night/grave shifts.

Open 24/7, including holidays and hurricanes.

Despite the casino's constant reinforcement of it's affluence (from spending money on giant statues to openly gloating about its profits), employees propping up the company are not "riding high" along side. Dissatisfaction is typically met with a reminder that the dissatisfied employee is easily replaced.

Advice to Management

Understand what compels the customer to keep spending money and apply some of those principles to the employees.

As an example, the tiered membership cards and point acquisitions through consistent playing. This allows the player to feel as though they are progressing toward rewards. That feeling of progress does not exist among employees.

A system of advancement with objective goals is satisfying, and employee satisfaction is abysmal right now.

reviews filtered by

A company starting to understand

Current Employee - Surveillance Agent in Bensalem, PA
    Current Employee - Surveillance Agent in Bensalem, PA

I have been working at Parx Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expansion, a lot of money, tons of departments

Cons

Getting rid of old managements views on employee

An Absolutely Despicable Company

Former Employee - Player Service Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Player Service Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Parx Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Remarkable pay. I was able to save all of my checks in the bank and live solely off my tips. There's also room for advancement if you are popular enough (not based off of the merit of your work; strictly based off of your friendships in this department)

Cons

Kiss your family goodbye. You will not see them for the remainder of your employment. When I was hired, the VP of marketing said to me, "I didn't spend Christmas with my daughters; we opened presents on Christmas Eve because I was here on Christmas. If you don't think you can do that, don't take this position." Boy was she right. I spent both Thanksgiving and Christmas at Parx.

I caution all older Pennsylvanians and people with pre existing conditions to stay away from this place. You will be overwhelmed by second hand smoke daily, may become sleep deprived due to the 24 hour nature of the business and there are NO sick days. I repeat, NO sick days (take them out of your vacation days or be pointed for them).

Also, this is the only place I've worked thus far where grown people (management) yell at other grown people (the workers). The yelling is constant too; a daily affair. You will be ridiculed, there's a considerable amount of nepotism causing the work place to become "cliquesh". People in my department constantly fought over tips and, all but two managers are under 30 and NOT experienced (and there are at least 10 managers). I don't even think most of them went to or finished college (I think it's a 50/50 split). Makes you wonder how they made it in to management positions, doesn't it? (*wink)

Advice to Management

The share holders need to come clear house. Everyone's credentials need to be looked at. It's absolutely crucial at the lower management level. Why would you allow nepotism at a company that handle millions of dollars per week? The only thing that keeps their money safe is a system of checks and balances but, if everyone "checking and balancing" is related...