Good company but overwhelmed by process

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Pason Systems

Pros

Reasonable compensation.
Extremely flexible work hours.
Located away from the downtown core - the commute and parking are good most days.
Willingness of employees to assist with mentoring.
Positive environment.

Cons

This is "the new Pason" - overwhelmed by process, paperwork and middle management. Long gone are the days of an enjoyable coding atmosphere.

General lack of innovation.

Be prepared for multitudes of:
 - meetings
 - documents
 - templates

The stock price hasn't done very much since the first two splits. The addition of 2-3 layers of middle management only serves to pollute the flat bonus pool. Increased revenue and profit have not translated into larger bonuses for employees. Potential employees, don't be enticed by the stock option program.

It has become a very political place of employment. Accomplishing goals is based on playing the system.

The bottom line is only part of the equation for a successful company. Reward your employees appropriately. The addition of overwhelming process is a significant contributor to the high rate of attrition in recent years. The collection of extremely smart people has been transformed to an atmosphere where you conform or you choose to move on.

Other Reviews for Pason Systems

One of the best companies out there, with strong leaders

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Pason Systems

Pros

Great bonuses.
    Minimum of 4 weeks vacation. This is above average.
    Very generous company. Examples: Christmas parties are very well done, summer barbeques, paying for training courses (I’ve worked for companies who said they do, but actually didn’t), and all employees get iPads! We have pilates, yoga, and bootcamp from professional trainers throughout the year, all for free. There are also 2 small cardio gyms, a weights room and a field hockey court.
    Flexible work hours.
    Free parking.
    Most managers care about doing the right thing. I think that all the negative comments here about management are too generalized. It is possible that there are leaders who may be guilty of some of these comments (I can’t say, because I don’t get in contact with all of them), but it would definitely not be the majority. It is unfortunate that some contained bad experiences of employees mean that the whole pool of leaders are presented in the same negative light. I’ve reported to a few different leaders at Pason in my time here, and can only say that there are some great leaders.

Cons

Limited plug-ins to keep cars warm in the winter.

Great coworkers; challenging environment; excellent pay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Pason Systems

Pros

- Great atmosphere to work in
    - Challenging environment; rewarding work
    - Fair compensation and benefits
    - Excellent work/life balance
    - Right to challenge management - in my case, with solid reasoning, management acknowledges
    - My immediate manager is A++; he listens and understands the people who do the work, and is able to reflect our progress and issues to his management using the tools that management likes to use (powerpoint slide decks, meetings, updates, estimates, politics)
    - Great BBQs and other extra activities

Cons

- Management can move slowly with decisions
    - Meetings can be shortened
    - Growth from a small company to a midsize company is a delicate process, and it is hard for any company to navigate

There are newer employer reviews for Pason Systems.

Worked for Pason Systems? Contribute to the Community!